which is your wave?

above the handelbar
below the handelbar
straight out
down low
i nod my head
i dont wave at all
the finger

Author Topic: The Wave  (Read 16028 times)

Offline SCJIM

• Enthusiast
The Wave
« on: May 24, 2005, 07:09:52 am »
we all have done it.
but in what fashon?
we pass another motorcyclist headded the other way, and the usual exchange is a wave. 

which is your wave?
Jim in SC
1981 CB 650 Custom

Online SteveD CB500F

• Global Moderator
  • Old Timer
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • TVAM
Re: The Wave
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2005, 07:14:35 am »
I nod (so do most of the other bikers here (UK)

If I take my right hand off the throttle, the bike stops!
SOHC4 Member #2393
2015 Tiger 800 XRT
1971 CB500K0 (US Model)

Offline cben750f0

• nothin draws attention like a classic bike!!
  • Master
  • '75 CB750F0 Gladstone NQLD OZ
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2005, 07:21:10 am »
i usually do the wave and the nod... you do realise you cant  take you hand off the left bar, and the bike still goes? :P... its funny when you learn to ride, if you were like me, ment you learnt alone, then no one tells you the etiquet(?)... now if i wave to someone and they dont wave bakc i get the S&^ts... ::)... i think its just common curticy(?).... plugs us minority groups need to stick together.. ;D..peace
you are never to old, to act like a kid... be safe
funny thing,chasing someone down hill on a bike 30 years older than theirs..
he said \\\\\\\'it was like watching a 250kg unguided weapon getting stuck up you bum\\\\\\\ http://www.bikepics.com/members/trixtrem/

migopod

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2005, 11:29:37 am »
i usually nod in the city and wave below the bar on the highway.
it's a little odd here in the home of the Harley, but oddly not because of the
hoggists.  They're always super impressed by a good classic import.  The
boom in novice superbike owners has left us with a glut of baby bikers who
don't seem to know the etiquite and protocol.

sad really....

Bobby

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2005, 11:54:15 am »
I had a guy pass me once on a HD with massive ape-hangers who waved his foot.  I almost fell over.  I have since adopted the "foot wave" and it is starting to catch on in small,  lesser known areas of Quonochontaug Rhode Island.  Keep a look out for the "foot wave"...

-Bobby

Offline SCJIM

• Enthusiast
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2005, 01:12:42 pm »
hey bob that cracked me up...

"the foot wave"    hahahahaha

i havent seen that one yet

and as far as manners go, dont get me started.
the younger generation dosent have a clue about "fellowship"

ride on....
Jim in SC
1981 CB 650 Custom

Offline mcpuffett

• Master
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2005, 03:01:34 pm »
you will get a nod up here in the north as well ;) mick.
Honda CB750 KO 1970,   Honda VTX 1300 2006, Lancaster England.

Offline seaweb11

• 1st Mate &
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Ride & Smile
    • Playground Directory
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2005, 09:41:14 pm »
Clubmans, Just a finger wave /.   If I'm ridin it...I'm On It!

migopod

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2005, 10:34:49 pm »
Clubmans, Just a finger wave /.   If I'm ridin it...I'm On It!

Which of course leads us to....

which finger?

Offline Raul CB750K1

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2005, 04:20:26 am »
There is a misconception about sport bikers. They don't use to wave, but reason is that those bikes require a laying position were the body weight lay on the arms. It's not easy to take the hand out of the handlebar without loosing control unless they take the body backwards. Also, the drive more concentrated on the road than on the scenery. And many times, they simply don't have time. It happens to me; when I try to react to a wave the other biker is already gone.

Next time you see a crotch rocket rider coming to you, start your wave very soon so he have time to see it. He have to be very rude not to return you the wave. It's like handshaking. When somebody shows you his/her hand, automatically one shakes hands.

Raul

Offline mrbreeze

• Not your average
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Shut up when you're talkin' to me!!
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2005, 11:58:54 am »
I usually give the left handed raised fist and it is usually returned.
MEMBER # 257
Fool me once..shame on you. Fool me twice..I'm kickin' your a$$......

Offline R. Hykawy

• Enthusiast
  • 77 CB400F Winnipeg,Canada
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2005, 03:19:31 pm »
I either nod my head or left hand straight out.
Richard Hykawy

smithrelo

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2005, 06:19:18 pm »
I was wondering what was going on...I'd say about 25-30% of the time I get a "return" wave.  I ALWAYS waved, whether riding or driving...but I've noticed it's not done much now. 

I'm not sure if guys can tell if I'm a girl on the bike..jacket, full helmet, gloves, jeans, running shoes...so I think they may think I'm a "small guy with a really weird bike"??

Perhaps I should alter my waive, maybe under the handle bar, rather than over...(as over may "date" me...??)  Opinions please.

Linda

PS-who Really gets a kick out of taking my helmet off and watching jaws drop-"S*(t- that old lady rides THAT!"  exact comment I heard from crotch rocket groupie!!  I don't think the crotch rocket riders let their ladies drive!

Offline kghost

• Really Old Timer ...
  • www.facebook.com/RetroMecanicaAustralia
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2005, 09:31:50 pm »
Hey, Linda. Might not the "Crotch Rocket guys" ladies be also partly to blame with the not riding thing? What kind of woman listens to what a guy says anyway?

I absolutely will not wave in my car. Kinda  makes me feel like an idiot. Makes you look like one of the bikeless unwashed. Like, you think its cool but mommy, wife, girlfriend, or significant other won't let you have one.
Stranger in a strange land

Offline Einyodeler

• Expert
  • Midnight bugs taste best!!!
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2005, 09:52:39 pm »
Straight out. Ain`t it great stopping at a rest area or gas station and someone comes over and says "Wow,what year is that?" and they start telling you how they`ve always wanted a bike then they slink back to the mini van full of kids with their tails between their legs when the wife calls out to them.You pass them later on the highway and the kids are all waving at you and the guys look says it all"Man is that dude lucky!"
1972 CB500 - 1973 CB500 - 1974 CB550K - 1975 CB550F - 1975 CB750F - 1976 CJ360 - 1983 CR480 - 1970 BSA A65T Thunderbolt

Download Motorcycle Shop Manuals here: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=17788.0

smithrelo

« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2005, 10:25:13 pm »
Kghost-I meant driving my bike or riding on a bike.  I think my post sounded like I wave from the car.  NO- way!  (besides I drive a truck ...kinda...thing)

But it is strange to have a H*rley rider coming at me and I wave and they ignore me...makes me feel like they don't dare remove their hand from grips....might fall off???

Linda

Offline kghost

• Really Old Timer ...
  • www.facebook.com/RetroMecanicaAustralia
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2005, 11:45:51 pm »
Probably riding around with heated grips, waving would make thier little hands cold.
Stranger in a strange land

Offline cb650

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2005, 03:51:11 pm »
I used to wave at everybody. Now unless I SEE a wave dont care. What is funnier than seein a hardly rider try to chop his arm off after relizin he waved a jap bike. Sport bike riders are mostly cluless. Beemers dont wave to the help.

Terry
18 grand and 18 miles dont make you a biker

Offline jbailey

• Hot Shot
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2005, 04:32:20 pm »
Hey SteveD,  If you guys rode on the correct side of the road the oncoming traffic would be to your left.  I'm sure that "the wave" is the reason the rest of the world adopted driving on the right.  We're just downright friendly folks!!
1975 Honda CB550K
2005 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours

Online SteveD CB500F

• Global Moderator
  • Old Timer
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • TVAM
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2005, 03:11:49 am »
Well I guess we're lumbered with history here - we need to be able to "wave" our swords at oncoming carriages of course.
SOHC4 Member #2393
2015 Tiger 800 XRT
1971 CB500K0 (US Model)

Offline Uncle Ernie

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2005, 06:53:18 pm »
Seems like I get a lot of waves while I'm in the middle of a turn. I generally have lowish bars anyway, so I mostly hang on with my left thumb and raise my fingers.
Dude- your 8 layers are showing!

eldar

« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2005, 01:49:10 pm »
I kinda do what Ernie does. Hardly riders I suppose may not wage much at the smaller bikes, but since I am on the road with something as big as theirs, most wave. Crotchers I dont think know how to wave. They are too busy standing up on their seats to impress their friends or hitting the gas for all it is worth trying to dump their women off the back(I think).

Offline Killer Canary

• Master
  • Typical Bran Muffin
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2005, 08:10:58 pm »
Mine's aJudaean People's Front fisttothesideofthehead wave.
If it's worth doing at all it's worth over-doing.
Honda MT250, CB400F, CB450K, CB550, GL500, CBR929
Kawi GPz900, H1

Offline Harry

• Hot Shot
    • CB500F
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2005, 11:45:56 pm »
Mine's aJudaean People's Front fisttothesideofthehead wave.

;D
Loretta - is that you??

Brian, Peoples Front for the Liberation of Judea
Harry Teicher, member #3,  Denmark....no, NOT the capital of Sweden.

Offline Paul

• Hot Shot
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2005, 09:55:09 am »
Well where I live a nod is enough..it's a Man thing
 (and just in case....who me...? No...wasn't nodding at you,  nah, just got somthing in my eye.)

Classics .....over here ....too busy scrutinizing the other bike, anyway we all know each other, nod at the pub.
Sports & toureres nod, or a low hand after passing....anything else and it just doesn't look the part... waving  and wobbeling all over the road with your chest on the tank....Leathers, sliders. etc..."yo-hoo ....hi there....luuuve your gear...and those matching boots,...georgous......(NO) "you see them, they see you , nod, ....enough.
HD's ..it depends .....have you eventually been able to afford one after paying the mortgage, raising the kids, retiring....wave at everyone and everything..
if you don't have anything but a HD ....can't see you through the black shades or all the way down their up-turned nose. :D
Other HD's just nod.....and by the way...nod back, there's probably a lot more of them at the next stop.  :-\
Paul.
It hurts to admit when you've made mistakes, But when the're big enough, the pain only lasts a second