Author Topic: Project Ginger Racer! 1975 CB750K COMPLETED!  (Read 44428 times)

Offline Zaipai

• I am getting closer to being an
  • Old Timer
    • My Home page
Re: Project Marmalade 1975 CB750K
« Reply #75 on: July 01, 2010, 04:19:12 pm »
Yea don't wait for them to get it right.. Just get the parts back and deal with it later. I hate when places don't deliver what they promise.

.: Scott :.
Its my Avatar..

75 CB550F  | 

Offline HedNut

• Underwater Basket Weaving
  • Expert
  • CB750...A Two-wheeled hellcat from Planet Kickass
« Reply #76 on: July 02, 2010, 05:18:00 am »
Yeah! That's a real kick in da'nutz!  You wait and wait....and wait.....for a shoddy job n' service.  I feel shame for your painter....he should hand it over with an appology and a gratuitus hand shake....no charge package deal.   But you do what you do....get that two wheeled SOHC banshee rocking!!  Good luck and god speed!   ..........always wanted to say that.......but typing it will do...

Cheers!

Offline Mayor08

• Enthusiast
« Reply #77 on: July 03, 2010, 08:50:35 pm »
received a tracking number yesterday....
Scottish ex-wife Brit Mistress

Offline Mayor08

• Enthusiast
« Reply #78 on: July 05, 2010, 09:53:21 pm »
no mail today so no tank but I'm getting anxious so I went out and bought a compression tester and well, did a test.  the engine was cold and had the following results:

#1 120
#2 100
#3 115
#4 120

I hooked up a gallon and a half gas can to the fuel line through the air valve on the can to fill the float bowls just to see if it would fire.  It wouldn't fire at first but when it did only 2 cylinders are firing- 2 and 4.  It's not the plugs, wires or coils as they are all new and I swapped wires between 1/4 and 2/3 without a change then repeated this with the plugs again, without change.  I am in the process of reading up on points, condensers and timing here is a pic I took during tear down.

Everything looks in good shape...no?

All 4 carbs were rebuilt during tear down I pulled the #1 bowl to see if it was getting fuel and it is.... not sure if it will make much of a difference if it is the tank or temp bottle that is supplying the fuel?  Does anyone think that by only filling the bowls and leaving the fuel supply line open would contribute to the engine not being able to idle?

So if anyone that's local wants to jump in and show how much they know about these sohc motors and getting them to purr like a cat in heat post or PM me. 

I'm off to do some more research

I also need to have the carbs properly synced

Offline Mayor08

• Enthusiast
« Reply #79 on: July 07, 2010, 02:35:01 pm »
Some new pics

The paint work is SO crappy its not even funny you can read about it here....

http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=67466.0

Offline Zaipai

• Old Timer
    • My Home page
« Reply #80 on: July 07, 2010, 03:20:48 pm »
Its look great, paint being crappy does not show in the pictures.. I like the setup. Did you get the other two cylinders firing?

Its my Avatar..

75 CB550F  | 

Offline Mayor08

• Enthusiast
« Reply #81 on: July 08, 2010, 12:08:30 am »
thanks Zaipai the bike does have a good look to it.  I have black 750 four decals for the side covers and I think I am going to pull the front fender and cut it down for a more aggressive look.

I have not had a chance to work on getting the bike to run on all four cylinders as I have been working nights the last 2 weeks.  Next week back to days night work is a rarity for what I do. 

You're right the photos don't show how bad the paint work is because they went to the trouble to buff it out so all I get when I try to take pics is my reflection.  The worst thing they did is NOT acid wash and Kreem coat the tank.  I now wish I had just refinished the tank myself live and learn.

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #82 on: July 08, 2010, 12:20:27 am »
Drop the ass that painted that an email with a link to this thread so he can see all the customers he'll never get.....I would be really pissed off about that paint.... ???

Mick
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.

Offline Zaipai

• Old Timer
    • My Home page
« Reply #83 on: July 08, 2010, 08:25:30 am »
thanks Zaipai the bike does have a good look to it.  I have black 750 four decals for the side covers and I think I am going to pull the front fender and cut it down for a more aggressive look.

I have not had a chance to work on getting the bike to run on all four cylinders as I have been working nights the last 2 weeks.  Next week back to days night work is a rarity for what I do. 

You're right the photos don't show how bad the paint work is because they went to the trouble to buff it out so all I get when I try to take pics is my reflection.  The worst thing they did is NOT acid wash and Kreem coat the tank.  I now wish I had just refinished the tank myself live and learn.
Well since I live near Chicago, can you PM me the name of the shop just so I never end up using their services?

You are right, Live and learn.. I will say I am glad I had Spikeybike (lives near me) kream the tank since I am not sure I would have done it correctly and he sure did a bang up job!

Its my Avatar..

75 CB550F  | 

Offline Mayor08

• Enthusiast
« Reply #84 on: July 14, 2010, 07:26:52 pm »
PLUGS-

How likely is it that my NEW plugs are saturated with gas and fouling?

I pulled number 1 plug yesterday after another carb disassembly and it was dark in color/smelled of gas.  I thought I should richen up the mix a bit to get it to idle but....  115 main jets, stock slow jets.  Any opinions or suggestions?

Offline Zaipai

• Old Timer
    • My Home page
« Reply #85 on: July 15, 2010, 06:45:30 am »
PLUGS-

How likely is it that my NEW plugs are saturated with gas and fouling?

I pulled number 1 plug yesterday after another carb disassembly and it was dark in color/smelled of gas.  I thought I should richen up the mix a bit to get it to idle but....  115 main jets, stock slow jets.  Any opinions or suggestions?
Yeah, it sounds like its fouling, how are the other plugs? How long did it run on that plug with those 115 jets?

Its my Avatar..

75 CB550F  | 

Offline Mayor08

• Enthusiast
« Reply #86 on: July 15, 2010, 07:57:36 am »
I haven't been able to get it to fire on that cylender since i put the bike back together but am working through some timing issues in another thread......

didn't look at the other plugs just that one as it was getting late.  I'll be back at it tonight and take some photos to better illustrate what I am seeing.

Offline Mayor08

• Enthusiast
« Reply #87 on: July 20, 2010, 07:59:13 pm »
with the hot humid weather and new job I haven't been able to get back to the bike like I had planned until tonight and even then I was chased inside by the rain.

I was able to set static timing- I was reading the Honda manual wrong or it simply didn't make sense either way I couldn't do it until tonight.  And soon as I was finished I hit the start button and it fell out!  I had to laugh.  I took the right side controls apart to look at the inside and everything else looks good.  I cleaned the starter contact with a scotch bright pad since it was apart and then went inside and ordered a new button.

QUESTION:  would a poorly contacting start button impact spark in any way?  I am wondering if I might have a week spark problem.  Will check once I have the new button in place and everything is buttoned up.  My goal is to have the bike finally running this weekend wish me luck!

Tomorrow weather permitting I will recheck valve clearance, nip the plug wires back, recheck plug gap and get ready for when the button arrives.  Oh and one more bit of news...I think I've fried my battery...need to check that too.

Offline HedNut

• Underwater Basket Weaving
  • Expert
  • CB750...A Two-wheeled hellcat from Planet Kickass
« Reply #88 on: July 21, 2010, 04:01:45 am »
OH the Joys of vintage rides! ahah... good luck man...I'm sure it's all small potoatoes...I LOVE your ride!

Offline tweakin

• tear down
  • Master
« Reply #89 on: July 21, 2010, 05:16:31 am »
Bike is looking great, I love the orange.  It took me reading the manual 3-4 times before I figured out the static timing process, lol.  Simple once I did it.

Offline Mayor08

• Enthusiast
« Reply #90 on: July 21, 2010, 08:11:50 am »
Hi Headnut thanks I love how its coming together too!  I'll love it ven more when its running....but to be fair this is exactly what I signed up for I wanted to refurbish an old bile and work through the problems.

tweakin- glad to hear I'm not the only one!  You're right it IS easy to do but for whatever reason the manual was confusing me. 

I'm really looking forward to getting stuck in this afternoon to double check the work I have done.  I also need to adjust the chain on the bonneville its looking like it has more than 1"-1 1/2" of slack,  I was hoping the Marmalade project would be ready for Saturday August 7th as there is a ride to Milwaukee I want to take it on but the outlook does not look good. 

Once its running, the paint is fixed, and its cleaned I think it will tun some heads!

Offline Mayor08

• Enthusiast
« Reply #91 on: July 24, 2010, 09:25:46 pm »
UPDATE:  it took some effort but the devil finally fired and started to idle albeit high and was firing on 3 if not 4 cylinders!  Tomorrow I will pull the carbs...again...and adjust the clip on the needle...again...but its all worth it now that I am seeing some real progress!!!  I just want it to start and idle easily so that can be checked off the list if I can accomplish this then it will be a good day.  Who knows maybe I can get the clutch adjusted too and try and get it into gear??

Offline putnaja1

• Hot Shot
  • '77 CB 550k -Was gonna cafe, but looks cool stock!
    • Jason's Wacky Website
« Reply #92 on: July 25, 2010, 04:31:24 am »
Congrats man!  I like the orange color too, although I read about your nightmare on the old crow thread..  The bike looks great!

I used to keep a spray bottle with some water in it for when I was getting my CB550k sorted out.  After it ran for a bit, a quick small spray on all 4 headers would quickly confirm if it was running on all 4 or not.

Jason
Play Pinball!
My Gallery!
"The world is divided into people who do things, people who get the credit and people who continually criticize.  Try, if you can, to belong to the first class of people.  There's far less competition"

Offline Mayor08

• Enthusiast
« Reply #93 on: July 25, 2010, 09:26:07 pm »
well, today was not as productive as I had hoped.  I believe I have burnt up the solenoid but did not have time to investigate it fully.  Today was so nice in my part of Illinois that I spent a couple of hours on the Bonneville before getting into the red head.  I had it running and was adjusting the idle when it died.  the battery was on the charger to get it to turn over and catch and suddenly the electric start wouldn't activate.  I started Saturday by replacing the start button because it had crumbled but once replaced it functioned properly, the whole electric starting system functioned fine.  I've been researching on the forums for a way to figure out which component isn't working and tomorrow will start go through one by one.  A small set back but a chance to learn more about another system on the bike.

traveler

« Reply #94 on: July 25, 2010, 09:37:40 pm »
These damn bikes are like a marriage....never steady....always ups and downs.  To get mine to work I had to resort to throwing money at it, until something stuck. (brand new, 900 dollar carbs). :( :(

But, it really works now!  As for your 750.....It'll come.  the important part is to have this as a 2nd bike......got to have a reliable one while the CB fights you every step of the way. :-\

~Joe

Offline Zaipai

• Old Timer
    • My Home page
« Reply #95 on: July 26, 2010, 05:49:40 am »
These damn bikes are like a marriage....never steady....always ups and downs.  To get mine to work I had to resort to throwing money at it, until something stuck.

~Joe

Funny I was thinking the same thing could be said about marriage and wifes..  ;D

Yea, hang in there once she is running it will be a great bike and you will have to write a note to yourself to hop on the other bike once and a while because you will be on the CB all the time. I don't have a running 2nd bike, however I have clocked a ton of millage on the CB with no real issues. They can be quite reliable even for a 30+ year old bike. Getting there is quite the challenge, right Joe?

Its my Avatar..

75 CB550F  | 

Offline Mayor08

• Enthusiast
« Reply #96 on: July 26, 2010, 07:29:34 pm »
False Alarm.....

The solenoid turned the starter and motor when I shorted it with a screw driver so the weak link is the starer button...which I installed on Saturday.  So yes, I am the weak link here!  The original lasted 35 years and the one I put in lasted a day.

So in my disgust I walked away I'll sort it out tomorrow.

Offline Zaipai

• Old Timer
    • My Home page
« Reply #97 on: July 27, 2010, 07:55:23 pm »
So in my disgust I walked away I'll sort it out tomorrow.

Yea, often that is best..

Its my Avatar..

75 CB550F  | 

Offline Mayor08

• Enthusiast
« Reply #98 on: July 27, 2010, 08:12:03 pm »
IT LIVES!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yes, Project Marmalade not only idled BUT we went for our first ride tonight and the moon was ORANGE no less!!

To back up a bit in my previous post I stated that the start button quit working well after some checking the ah  bike was um in gear.  So yes once again I am the weak link in the chain.  After that I pulled the carbs and put the needle clip on the lowest groove and reassembled everything back onto the bike and then it started with the help of a jump and idled!  I'm thinking cool it works!  It didn't want to drop into gear without grinding and I had read a post where Hondaman said that the clutch plates can stick together when a bike has sat for a long time so I said why not.  Clutch in, foot down- grind- and as I eased out the clutch away I went.  I expected it to die in all honesty but no I rode up and down the block and the shifting kept getting better.  Everything was great until I got stuck at a long light waiting to make a left hand turn and well it died.  Wouldn't restart under its own power as the battery was too low on power and the kick starter hasn't been installed yet.  I think the battery is done for but will take it out and have it tested tomorrow.  

Still to be done:
proper carb sync
adjust timing
adjust idle
adjust clutch
reposition rear brake lever
reposition handlebars
touch up painting on engine
maybe have tank and side covers repainted

and of course LOT'S of pictures!!

Offline Mayor08