Author Topic: SOHC4 Relay Across America, Canada, and Beyond  (Read 52581 times)

Offline DavePhipps

• Expert
  • Reading the entire Hi-Perf forum
    • Hillside Technology
Re: SOHC4 Relay Across America, Canada, and Beyond
« Reply #175 on: December 15, 2010, 08:06:55 pm »
Just want to add that I might be able to ride along with the Indiana guys for a bit. Can't do much distance, single father, three kids= little time.
Bikes:
90 FZR600 RA
74 CB550k
78 GL1000
72 CB500K

Offline scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #176 on: December 15, 2010, 08:24:03 pm »
Since no one else from AZ has chimed in, I'm located near the center of the state. Depending on when this happens, I may be able to ride along for a while, or, at the least, provide support. I know of some good rides in this area, and there are some I would like to try, when I'm not in a hurry; that's what the interstates are for.
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline Jerry Rxman Griffin aka MuthaF'er

• This MuthaF'er is getting to be a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #177 on: December 15, 2010, 09:50:51 pm »
Scottly,

Arizona, yesssss! That has been a big hole to fill so far!

Jerry
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #178 on: December 15, 2010, 09:51:39 pm »
We have ideas for a scroll and a GPS. Both good ideas!
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

Offline ZanVooden

• I don't need no stinkin' title
  • Hot Shot
  • This was suppose to be a quick one month job...
« Reply #179 on: December 15, 2010, 10:32:20 pm »
Jerry,

Any idea what regions/states/areas we are still missing?

Offline Anti-Johnny

• 75 cb750k
  • Hot Shot
  • Poser
« Reply #180 on: December 15, 2010, 11:50:24 pm »
Instead of any gnome, geisha girl, or Godzilla doll, that a rider would have to carry.
What about a scroll type document in like a tube canister that you would carry building plans in, that you could through over your shoulder with a strap?

The document could have some title as in SOHC4 1st Annual Relay Across America, or World Wide Relay.
then under all of the detailed information, a bunch of blank fill in spots for every rider to list, Name, City, State, Age, Bike, Miles ridden, Date, and so on.
It would just be passed through state to state and have a designated meeting area for everyone in that state to sign.

Just a thought.... ???

I like that. It could be both this.and the mascot though. Kids love godzilla
www.southaustinmotorcycles.com
 Come by and wrench and have a cold one while enjoying the wide array of rides and riders in Austin!

music

Offline RatRacer

« Reply #181 on: December 16, 2010, 04:11:10 am »
Somebody needs to put together a chronologically ordered list of entry/exit points for each state so we can get in touch with our fellow riders to exchange contact info and arrange meeting places.

As far as I know, I'm doing Michigan's UP solo unless somebody else wants to join me.  There is one other Yooper on this forum, but they don't know if they will have their bike up and running in time.
  • 1979 CB 650 SOHC/4.  Currently undergoing surgery to replace reason with insanity!
  • 1999 Ram 2500 QCSB Cummins Diesel.  Headache Rack, Spray-on Bedliner, S.Steel Nerf Bars, Silencer Ring MIA, 4" TB Aero Exhaust, 1-Ton Suspension Upgrade, BHAF.
  • 2007 Mustang GT California Special.  Convertible Top, Bullitt Exhaust.

Offline drones76

• Enthusiast
« Reply #182 on: December 16, 2010, 04:46:46 am »
One additional note that should not be overlooked.  Since there will be a requirement to have an SOHC-4 on every mile of the trek, it should be noted in the list which owners do not have enough cylinders to qualify(as his hand goes up slowly).

I know that there are a couple in my area and I will certainly be doing less miles than them, so I should always be in the company of qualified equipment.  I'm just along for the ride.   ;D
1974 Norton Commando Roadster
1980 Goldwing Interstate
1975 Kawasaki KZ400D
Looking for a SOHC-4

Offline mycb750k6

• "res ipsa loquitur"
  • Expert
  • Rocketman
    • photobucket albums
« Reply #183 on: December 16, 2010, 06:07:02 am »
Hey Scotty,
If the route takes us from SoCal through AZ, I'd like to take some of those roads with you. AZ has some wonderful scenery and is only 400-500 miles from me. Looks like you are down near the Mex boarder though. I was hoping the route would head up 15 through Zion National Park in Nev. Lot needs to be sorted out.
So far I haven't seen much interest from Calif although I know there a lot of SOHCs here.

Offline super pasty white guy

• I'm not really a
  • Expert
  • 1976 750 F
« Reply #184 on: December 16, 2010, 06:56:51 am »
I'll throw in my hat from Washington, DC.

spwg
Fruit don't talk, fruit just listens... and waits.

Offline gregk

• Hot Shot
« Reply #185 on: December 16, 2010, 08:26:16 am »

I'd like to be part of this number.  I assume that at this point the route is tentative?  The most recent route map i've seen misses a large portion of Southern BC.  I love the roads in Idaho and Montana and they should be given equal time with some of those in BC.  Just a thought!
At any rate, all riders are welcome at my place. 

greg
I don't want it to go like a motorcycle, I want it to go like a rocket!

Offline Stevenarrow

« Reply #186 on: December 16, 2010, 10:54:42 am »
i'm in for BC and the Pacific Northwest -- sure i could get a couple more bikes for the ride as well.

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #187 on: December 16, 2010, 11:45:46 am »
Steven and Greg,

Routes are negotiable/tentative depending on riders  ;) Main objective is to covered the states & provinces. we should have the time to cover what you want to ride I'm thinking. 754/Frank first offered up to meet at the border so I went with that. Now that there are more of you guys we can make changes to fit the time available and what you want to ride. I envision having regional coordinators that know their areas and can take care of scheduling and routing. You just have to meet the guy before you and the guy after you. That'll be up to you guys.

Offline flybox1

• My wife thinks I'm a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #188 on: December 16, 2010, 12:12:10 pm »
I'm down for some road time here in WA.  Plenty of guys between Portland and Seattle.
I can pickup on Mercer Island area, do the TT with whomever does the dropoff  8), and run the bugger to the top of the Space Needle.  Better yet, sit him on the "Freemont Bridge Troll" for a snapshot, before heading North to Marysville/Everett area for dropoff....

FB1

edit. Yes, as a matter of fact, that IS a VW in his hand.(CA plates too  :-* )
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 12:30:21 pm by flybox1 »
'78 750K (F3 engine) PD42b's, Modified airbox w/K&N  filter, 40/110 jets, 1 needle shim, IMS@ 1 turn out. Kerker + Cone 18" QuietCore

Past Bikes
1974 550K0 (stock), 1973 CB350F (stock), 1983 Yamaha XS400K (POS)
77/78 cool 2 member #3
"Knowledge without mileage equals bullsh!t" - Henry Rollins

"This is my CB. There are many like it, but this one is mine…"

Offline ZanVooden

• Hot Shot
« Reply #189 on: December 16, 2010, 12:58:02 pm »
Here, This might help people see where we still need people to join in and help out.
Its a google Doc. For those of you who dont know its a excel spreedsheet that anyone can view.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AnAgJYsshlFSdFNNYmFwWXpCWUZKT05zQmViMnBpaVE&hl=en&authkey=COrQx5kN

I set this up based on the drawing that Jerry posted back on page 5 for the rough routing (starts in Florida and ends .....never???). I think I've getten everyone on there that has offered to join so far.

Hope this helps.

Dave

Offline mycb750k6

• "res ipsa loquitur"
  • Expert
  • Rocketman
    • photobucket albums
« Reply #190 on: December 16, 2010, 01:13:32 pm »
Dave, are you going to maintain this based on Jerry's sign-up sheet on page one? Currently folks are supposed to PM Jerry to get on th list.

Offline Stevenarrow

« Reply #191 on: December 16, 2010, 01:14:59 pm »
the spread sheet looks like a great start. I could probably organize the section from Vancouver through the Okanagan and to the Alberta border -- gorgeous roads.

Offline flybox1

• My wife thinks I'm a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #192 on: December 16, 2010, 01:21:19 pm »
Hey....heres a quickie of the cities along major N-S route in WA (I-5).  
Vancouver BC, Canada, to Portland, Going thru Seattle.

and the 2 E-W routes from Seattle to Idaho.
dont know which way its goin'
Portland North to Canada, or makin' a 90 and heading to Idaho...

i tagged the cities i can cover when the time comes.
let me know if you need more....
FB1

...Gnome or Godzilla, sitting atop the MICROSOFT campus sign. 
Most around the world, like it or not, would recognize it.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 01:35:38 pm by flybox1 »
'78 750K (F3 engine) PD42b's, Modified airbox w/K&N  filter, 40/110 jets, 1 needle shim, IMS@ 1 turn out. Kerker + Cone 18" QuietCore

Past Bikes
1974 550K0 (stock), 1973 CB350F (stock), 1983 Yamaha XS400K (POS)
77/78 cool 2 member #3
"Knowledge without mileage equals bullsh!t" - Henry Rollins

"This is my CB. There are many like it, but this one is mine…"

Offline GammaFlat

• Master
  • humanitas, qualitas, quantitas and velocitas
« Reply #193 on: December 16, 2010, 01:38:13 pm »
There's a bunch of us "4 holers" in Chicago.  sniff sniff.  I thought I-80 would be a natural. 

K6
K7 
Suzuki GN400 - Ignition fixed!
03 KLR650 - Doesn't do anything very well but.. well.. does everything.

Offline ZanVooden

• Hot Shot
« Reply #194 on: December 16, 2010, 01:50:02 pm »
Dave, are you going to maintain this based on Jerry's sign-up sheet on page one? Currently folks are supposed to PM Jerry to get on th list.

I did this so I could see where we needed people. I'll have to check with Jerry to see who wants to maintain that list.

Offline seanbarney41

• not really that much younger than an
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #195 on: December 16, 2010, 02:25:21 pm »
Somebody needs to put together a chronologically ordered list of entry/exit points for each state so we can get in touch with our fellow riders to exchange contact info and arrange meeting places.

As far as I know, I'm doing Michigan's UP solo unless somebody else wants to join me.  There is one other Yooper on this forum, but they don't know if they will have their bike up and running in time.
I wanna do the U.P. too.  Sounds like I will meet whoever in Detroit, Ride on up, throught he u.p., man, I love going to Milwaukee too, geez might as well go home all the way around L. Michigan.  That should make for a nice summer vacation...
If it works good, it looks good...

Offline bender01

• Master
  • "Follow the leader.He's on a Honda"
« Reply #196 on: December 16, 2010, 04:51:17 pm »
Ive sent My PM.
75 550 K1
74 750 K4
1968 450 K1 Super Sport
74 750k 836 project
http://www.bikepics.com/members/bender01/
So, the strategy is to lie to people you are asking for help?

I think I'll be busy going for a ride.

Good luck!
Two Tired Quote !

Offline Old Scrambler

• My CB750K3 has been in 39 States & 5 Provinces
  • Old Timer
« Reply #197 on: December 16, 2010, 04:55:03 pm »
seanbarney41............I live between Green Bay and Milwaukee near Road America.........My k3 is ready and I've got a spare room.
Dennis in Wisconsin
'64 Triumph Cub & '74 Honda CB750 Bonneville Salt Flats AMA Record Holder (6)
CB750 Classic Bonneville Racer thread - http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,135473.0.html
'63 CL72 Project(s)
'66 CL77 Red
'67 Triumph T100C
'73 750K3 Owned since New
'77 750F2 Cafe Project
2020 ROYAL ENFIELD Himalayan

Offline OldSchool_IsCool

• Really feeling like an
  • Old Timer
  • WARNING: Objects in mirror appear to be LOSING!
« Reply #198 on: December 16, 2010, 05:03:13 pm »

I wanna do the U.P. too.  Sounds like I will meet whoever in Detroit, Ride on up, throught he u.p., man, I love going to Milwaukee too, geez might as well go home all the way around L. Michigan.  That should make for a nice summer vacation...

I'm planning to ride Lower Michigan too!  Sean, since we're both in Kazoo, what say we ride together to meet up with Team Ontario either in Windsor or on the Michigan side (I don't have a passport yet, so I may not be able get back if I cross).  Or maybe Team Ontario will wana ride with us to the UP and they can cross back at the Souix.  Just spitballing here.  

Some landmarks I'd like to hit are the biker bar in Hell (yes, there really is a Hell, Michigan!) and the old Gibson guitar factory back here in Kazoo.   Keep your shorts on Nashville!  I know you think the Gibson factory is in Tennessee, but during the 70's, it was HERE in Kalamazoo!  

We can prolly overnight in Kazoo before heading up to meet Rat.  Depending on the time of the week, there is a crew of "vintage Rice Burners" in Grand Rapids that might ride with us.  My neighbor rides a Triumph and wants to tag along too.  

Depending on the situation, I may turn around at the bridge or circle the lake with ya.  This might be a way to get Team Chicago in on the event if they can get Soichio-san back to the Cheese Heads or over to Minnesota.   Again, just spitball'n!
Can I have a motorcycle when I get old enough?
If you take care of it.
What do you have to do?
Lot’s of things. You’ve been watching me.
Will you show me all of them?
Sure.
Is it hard?
Not if you have the right attitudes. It’s having the right attitudes that’s hard.

Offline Damfino

• Sneaky, Evil, Magnificent Bastard of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Look at the grouse! NYUK,NYUK,NYUK!
« Reply #199 on: December 16, 2010, 06:19:28 pm »

SOHC Support Bus?? ;D ;D

Your Message Here!
You can still call me 'Schmitty'

1976 CB 750
2014 CB 1100DLX
2015 Harley Davidson Freewheeler

You know, a long time ago being crazy meant something. Nowadays everybody's crazy.
Charles Manson

You've got to watch your back in the SSDB, this is where the clever guys get bored with bike talk and make poo jokes.
I like my women a little big. Natural. Now, they shave this and wax that. It's not right. I love natural women. Big women. This trend in women has to go. Bulomia, anorexia. That's just wrong. You know what will cure that? My special sticky buns. One lick of my sticky buns and your appetite will come right back. ~ RIP Mr. Borgnine  01/24/1917 - 07/08/2012  :'(