Author Topic: Trip preparation - What should we bring?  (Read 11372 times)

Offline mjstone

• I'm definitly not a
  • Hot Shot
Trip preparation - What should we bring?
« on: May 14, 2011, 07:37:29 am »
Being new to motorcycling and never been on a long trip, especially one lasting several days, I thought it might be a good idea to post a thread on "What should we bring along on the trip".  So please make suggestions on the sort of things we will need.

Since we will be camping at least one night I went out and bought a small, OK a tiny, tent and will bring a sleeping bag.  Will we be eating out or do we need to bring stuff to prepare meals? 

What kind of emergency equipment will we need?  I bought a new rear tube for my bike when I was having trouble with my rear tire, ended up being a loose valve core, so I will bring that along as well as a front tube, yet to be purchased.  What kind of tools should we bring?  Bike supplies like oil, chain lube and what else?  Clean up supplies like waterless hand cleaner and paper towels?

Spare clothing, alarm clock, Medications.  Any other suggestions?

I reread my copy of "Proficient Motorcycling" by David L. Hough last week  and found the sections on group riding very interesting.  Anyone else read this book?  I assume someone will be our group leader and this may change depending where we are.  How about communication between riders?  Hand signals?  CB radios?  I have a CB setup on my bike anyone else?

MJ
1972 CB500Four (Honda)
1973 CB500Four (Oliver)

Offline Greggo

• Somebody's
  • Old Timer
  • Helmets Save Lives. Period.
Re: Trip preparation - What should we bring?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2011, 08:11:29 am »
My bike has a DynaS, so I brought a points plate in case that failed for some reason.  I would think if your bike has points, that you at least bring the tools to work on those, and maybe even a spare set.  Fuses.  Bring spare fuses.  I brought a few feet of wire in case anything melted.  Bring spare spark plugs, and maybe a brass brush.  Heck, I even brought my multimeter.  These are just a few of the things I'd bring on a longer trip. 

Offline mjstone

• I'm definitly not a
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2011, 08:30:54 am »
Good idea Greggo!  I'm putting a Pamco electronic ignition on my bike, was going to do it today, but its raining, and I'll bring my old points plate along.  Fuses, wire, electrical tape and meter, good idea!  Glad you mentioned spark plugs, I was going to get new ones when I install the Pamco, I'll make sure I buy two sets.
1972 CB500Four (Honda)
1973 CB500Four (Oliver)

Offline Greggo

• Somebody's
  • Old Timer
  • Helmets Save Lives. Period.
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2011, 08:59:34 am »
Good idea to also pack your clutch lifter and axle with grease, if you have a gun for it, and the job hasn't been done for awhile. 

Offline Jerry Rxman Griffin aka MuthaF'er

• This MuthaF'er is getting to be a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2011, 09:05:53 am »
Make sure your bike is ready to go before you leave. Take your tool kit and chain lube. Tighten and oil your chain when it needs it. I do take my Gerber multi tool but that's it as far as the bike goes. If you're concerned you might take a small 1/4" drive socket set. If my bike is ready then I don't worry. I also take rain gear and an extra change of underwear for the next day along with a few toiletries. Start off with most of your layers on the the morning and you won't have to pack them. Peel off as it warms. DO NOT overpack! This is not as a big a deal as one might think. The most important things are a credit card and cash.
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

Offline weiner43

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2011, 11:48:32 am »
One thing I`ve done for years is to save my old briefs and T shirts and sox that should be tossed in the trash and I put them in a box for motorcycle trips.  Wash and pack them so as you wear them and then just toss them in the trash and put on a fresh clean pair.  You always seem to collect stuff on a trip and by throwing away old dirty underware it helps to keep the luggage to a minimum.

Offline OldSchool_IsCool

• Really feeling like an
  • Old Timer
  • WARNING: Objects in mirror appear to be LOSING!
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2011, 12:34:10 pm »
I'm a firm believer in acquiring as you go.  I'd say plan to eat out mostly, but if a cookout is desired, then we'll get what we need at a near by grocery store and cook over an open fire.  No need to pack camp stoves, propane and the like. 

MJ, I have a CB on my rig too, but I haven't had a chance to get it working yet.  I also have some family band walkie talkies.  I don't plan on bringing those unless someone thinks we need off-bike comms too.

A good tent with a rain fly is a good idea.  Your sleeping bag can be a light one, maybe down to 40*F will do.  You can put on your spare clothes if you need more.  An air mattress might not be a bad idea, light, compact, set up quickly and will keep you off the ground.

Personal items:
- tooth brush
- tooth paste
- body wash that doubles as shampoo
- medicines including pain relievers
- toilet paper in a zip lock bag
- 2 days of clothes, we'll stop somewhere with laundry facilities I'm sure
- rain gear (keep it on top

Tools & Misc:
- standard tools should do plus
- multi-meter
- wire with gater clips on each end
- Allen wrenches
- tie wraps
- rags
- I have tire irons, which I'll bring.  Also a small bicycle pump.  That plus your tubes MJ should take care of any SOHC tire blowouts.  I'll also pack a repair kit for the tubeless guys too.
- credit card
- cash
- cell phone
- paper map
- camera

Consumables & parts:
- Change your oil before the trip.  If you need to add, pick up a quart along the way.
- chain lube
- 520 chain (I'm replacing mine this week, I'll pack my old one, 550K 100 links)
- 520 master link

Getting Ready:
- 3K tune-up including filter inspection/replacement
- don't make any major changes to critical systems unless you have time to road test them!

I'll add to this post as I think of stuff.
Can I have a motorcycle when I get old enough?
If you take care of it.
What do you have to do?
Lot’s of things. You’ve been watching me.
Will you show me all of them?
Sure.
Is it hard?
Not if you have the right attitudes. It’s having the right attitudes that’s hard.

Offline seanbarney41

• not really that much younger than an
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2011, 03:02:24 pm »
...Hey Old School, can I use some of your excess Goldwing cargo space for my guitar, stereo, about half my lp collection, several "going out to the club" outfits, chevy small block short block that I might be able to sell along the way, a box of chocolates, and a funny little pony on a stick... ;D
If it works good, it looks good...

Offline OldSchool_IsCool

• Really feeling like an
  • Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2011, 05:11:39 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D  ;D
If you take care of it.
What do you have to do?
Sure.
Is it hard?
Not if you have the right attitudes. It’s having the right attitudes that’s hard.

Offline Grnrngr

• Master
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2011, 06:08:59 pm »
I always over pack...last trip I took I prolly didn't use half the stuff I took, but if I don't bring it, SAS, I'll need it. I stopped for gas, tightened up my tank bag, pulled a strap off, had to buy a sewing kit to sew it back on. Had three small sewing kits at home I didn't bring..I wrap my sleeping bag in an 8x10 plastic tarp, doesn't take any more room, keeps the bag dry and adds to the shelter or covers the bike if it rains. I also have a twin size airbed that fits my bivy tent perfectly, carry a battery powered inflator in my tank bag, rain suit, extra fleece jacket, watch cap, extra gloves, socks, underwear, wool scarf, camp shoes, 2 qts of oil and a can of Seafoam, an extra pair of jeans and a shirt for every two or three days on the road, flashlight, battery powered lantern, camera, messkit and small campstove (in the PNW, you can't always find dry wood), (2) 1 liter water bottles and a 2 liter canteen, paper maps, pen, pencil and notebook, a couple pocket knives, tool kit, TOILET PAPER!! and a small garden trowel, coffee cup, several "Folger's Coffee singles" (like a teabag but it's coffee), several "Lipton's Cup O' Soup", a couple extra bungees and about 30ft of parachute cord, first aid kit including my pain meds and an ace bandage, an FRS walkietalkie, if I'm gonna be where there is fishing, I have a nice collapsible rod and ultra small reel, didn't need a tire patch kit last time but I'll  probably invest in one and bring my tire irons too, and definitely always, cash, cards, and cell phone plus cell phone charger. it all fits nicely on the bike and I didn't notice any change in handling on my 500, I'd expect even less on the 750..
'72 CB750-K2 "PopCycle"
'73 CB750-K2 "Barney"
'77 CB750A   
'83 Virago 500 (red)
'83 Virago 500 (black)

"and so on and so on and scoobydoobydooby..oooooooshasha"  Sly Stone

Offline dave the welder

• dave the welder
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2011, 08:22:44 pm »
lots of cash and cell phone anything else i need my cousin carries on his gold wing
don't buy it build it

Offline seaweb11

• 1st Mate &
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Ride & Smile
    • Playground Directory
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2011, 09:16:34 pm »
Make sure your bike is ready to go before you leave. Take your tool kit and chain lube. Tighten and oil your chain when it needs it. I do take my Gerber multi tool but that's it as far as the bike goes. If you're concerned you might take a small 1/4" drive socket set. If my bike is ready then I don't worry. I also take rain gear and an extra change of underwear for the next day along with a few toiletries. Start off with most of your layers on the the morning and you won't have to pack them. Peel off as it warms. DO NOT overpack! This is not as a big a deal as one might think. The most important things are a credit card and cash.

What! No tent Jerry? ;D

Offline Damfino

• Sneaky, Evil, Magnificent Bastard of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Look at the grouse! NYUK,NYUK,NYUK!
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2011, 09:01:28 am »

After reading some of these list's, I have to wonder if you guys are taking GZ to the next state over or going on a wilderness adventure!  ;D ;D
Your Message Here!
You can still call me 'Schmitty'

1976 CB 750
2014 CB 1100DLX
2015 Harley Davidson Freewheeler

You know, a long time ago being crazy meant something. Nowadays everybody's crazy.
Charles Manson

You've got to watch your back in the SSDB, this is where the clever guys get bored with bike talk and make poo jokes.
I like my women a little big. Natural. Now, they shave this and wax that. It's not right. I love natural women. Big women. This trend in women has to go. Bulomia, anorexia. That's just wrong. You know what will cure that? My special sticky buns. One lick of my sticky buns and your appetite will come right back. ~ RIP Mr. Borgnine  01/24/1917 - 07/08/2012  :'(

Offline mjstone

• I'm definitly not a
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2011, 09:25:52 am »

After reading some of these list's, I have to wonder if you guys are taking GZ to the next state over or going on a wilderness adventure!  ;D ;D

Exactly! This is Michigan after all! ;) ;D 8)

MJ
1972 CB500Four (Honda)
1973 CB500Four (Oliver)

Offline OldSchool_IsCool

• Really feeling like an
  • Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2011, 11:32:19 am »

Ur welcome to join us, Schmthaus!  Bring bug spray!
If you take care of it.
What do you have to do?
Sure.
Is it hard?

Offline seanbarney41

• not really that much younger than an
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2011, 02:11:35 pm »

Have you been to the U.P.?  ...uh there are bears and stuff
If it works good, it looks good...

Offline Damfino

• Sneaky, Evil, Magnificent Bastard of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Look at the grouse! NYUK,NYUK,NYUK!
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2011, 02:25:10 pm »

Well, I didn't see no bear gun listed anywhere...just toilet paper & old undies. Do you plan on scaring them off with those?  ;) ;D ;D
Your Message Here!
You can still call me 'Schmitty'

1976 CB 750
2014 CB 1100DLX
2015 Harley Davidson Freewheeler

You know, a long time ago being crazy meant something. Nowadays everybody's crazy.
Charles Manson

You've got to watch your back in the SSDB, this is where the clever guys get bored with bike talk and make poo jokes.
I like my women a little big. Natural. Now, they shave this and wax that. It's not right. I love natural women. Big women. This trend in women has to go. Bulomia, anorexia. That's just wrong. You know what will cure that? My special sticky buns. One lick of my sticky buns and your appetite will come right back. ~ RIP Mr. Borgnine  01/24/1917 - 07/08/2012  :'(

Offline mjstone

• I'm definitly not a
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2011, 02:45:52 pm »

Well, I didn't see no bear gun listed anywhere...just toilet paper & old undies. Do you plan on scaring them off with those?  ;) ;D ;D

What do we need a bear gun for? We'll have Godzilla with  us.  He'll put them back after he's done playing with them.  If he wants to take one home as a pet, it'll have to ride with Old School.

MJ
1972 CB500Four (Honda)
1973 CB500Four (Oliver)

Offline OldSchool_IsCool

• Really feeling like an
  • Old Timer
Trip preparation - What should we bring?
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2011, 11:50:10 am »
Bug spray
Sun screen
Rain gear
If you take care of it.
What do you have to do?
Sure.
Is it hard?

Offline DJ_AX

• Expert
  • ?!
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2011, 07:53:49 am »
> jb weld, electrical tape, duct tape, an old coat hanger, and a big knife.
 ;D I never ever leave home on my bike (or my car) without at least that!

oh ... and a new bic lighter.
~ Vincent . . . '75 CB750 K5 . . . '97 BMW r1100rt . . . had; '75 CB550 K1 (sold) . . .  '73 CB350G (gifted) HELL YEAH!
Disclaimer: I could be wrong. :)

Offline RatRacer

« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2011, 03:17:19 pm »
I usually pack some spare bungees, two small adjustable wrenches, a pair of pliers, a spark plug socket, a half roll of electrical tape, a half roll of duct tape, a small hose for siphoning gas from one bike to another, a multi-bit screwdriver, a small flashlight, and any parts my bike 'eats' on a frequent basis (set of spark plugs, etc).  A travel size bottle of chain lube and bike cleaner are also a good idea.

Personal items include clothing (no more than 3 or 4 days + an extra pair of socks ), sandals, sunscreen, bug-spray (only if camping), basic toiletries (bodywash and shampoo are basically just soap so you really only need one), and an electric razor if the trip is longer than 4 days.  Depending on the plan, I also back a sleeping bag.

I also bring a book, a deck of cards, and a camera.  Cash is a must especially in remote areas... which is basically any place that is not one of the 5 or 6 main 'cities' north of The Bridge.  The entire Keweenaw Peninsula (including Copper Harbor) is cash ONLY!  Cash is small and easy to pack so don't worry about bringing too much because you can always take it home with you.

After a few trips you'll learn what's important and what you can leave at home.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 03:24:54 pm by RatRacer »
  • 1979 CB 650 SOHC/4.  Currently undergoing surgery to replace reason with insanity!
  • 1999 Ram 2500 QCSB Cummins Diesel.  Headache Rack, Spray-on Bedliner, S.Steel Nerf Bars, Silencer Ring MIA, 4" TB Aero Exhaust, 1-Ton Suspension Upgrade, BHAF.
  • 2007 Mustang GT California Special.  Convertible Top, Bullitt Exhaust.

Offline Bankerdanny

• Eventually I will be old enough in reality to be
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Endeavor to persevere
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2011, 11:11:50 am »
The cash heads up is handy. As a city dweller I sometimes forget that there isn't an ATM on every corner everywhere and that all stores and restaurants don't take credit.
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln

Current: '76 CB750F. Previous:  '75 CB550F, 2007 Yamaha Vino 125 Scooter, '75 Harley FXE Superglide, '77 GL1000, '77 CB550k, '68 Suzuki K10 80, '68 Yamaha YR2, '69 BMW R69S, '71 Honda SL175, '02 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, '89 Yamaha FJ1200

Offline Redrider969

• "What fun to be on the road again." B. Baggins
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2011, 12:58:34 pm »
Well, others have listed a lot of good stuff.  Here's a few other things to consider.

Doesn't hurt to take throttle and clutch cables with you.  Dirt bike guys used to run the extra cables right next to the existing cables and tape or tie wrap them in place.  That makes changing them that much quicker.  I just roll mine up and put them in my luggage. 

You might want to take a length of clear plastic tubing to use to siphon gas out of a buddy's tank - I've needed to do that more than once.   

For years, I've used a tire inflation hose that attaches to the Engine.  You pull out a spark plug, screw in the hose, start the engine and use the dead cylinder as an air pump.  It's always worked for me.  You used to be able to get it through J.C. Whitney. 

If you have to change a tube, it's a lot easier with three tire irons.  The longer the tire irons the better. 

If you don't have your owners manual, it's a good idea to take along s copy of your wiring diagram.

I've had trouble with the ignition (key) switch going out on me.  My solution was to cut the plug off of an old switch and "hot wire" the wires together.  Then, if the switch went out, I could just plug the hot wired plug into the wiring harness and keep going.

A spare bulb for your tail light or turn signals and if you have a halogen headlight, a spare bulb for that.

I think someone already mentioned electrical tape, but a little duct tape is always handy.  I don't take whole rolls.  I wrap an appropriate amount around a short piece of wooden dowel or  pencil.

And finally, now that so many organizations offer motorcycle towing services, I'd consider signing up for one and carrying that plastic card.  Better to have it and not need it.
Redrider969

Offline mrbreeze

• Not your average
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Shut up when you're talkin' to me!!
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2011, 01:14:11 pm »
Well, others have listed a lot of good stuff.  Here's a few other things to consider.

Doesn't hurt to take throttle and clutch cables with you.  Dirt bike guys used to run the extra cables right next to the existing cables and tape or tie wrap them in place.  That makes changing them that much quicker.  I just roll mine up and put them in my luggage. 

You might want to take a length of clear plastic tubing to use to siphon gas out of a buddy's tank - I've needed to do that more than once.   

For years, I've used a tire inflation hose that attaches to the Engine.  You pull out a spark plug, screw in the hose, start the engine and use the dead cylinder as an air pump.  It's always worked for me.  You used to be able to get it through J.C. Whitney. 

If you have to change a tube, it's a lot easier with three tire irons.  The longer the tire irons the better. 

If you don't have your owners manual, it's a good idea to take along s copy of your wiring diagram.

I've had trouble with the ignition (key) switch going out on me.  My solution was to cut the plug off of an old switch and "hot wire" the wires together.  Then, if the switch went out, I could just plug the hot wired plug into the wiring harness and keep going.

A spare bulb for your tail light or turn signals and if you have a halogen headlight, a spare bulb for that.

I think someone already mentioned electrical tape, but a little duct tape is always handy.  I don't take whole rolls.  I wrap an appropriate amount around a short piece of wooden dowel or  pencil.

And finally, now that so many organizations offer motorcycle towing services, I'd consider signing up for one and carrying that plastic card.  Better to have it and not need it.
Good stuff there Redrider. I especially like the hot wired ignition plug.........F'n brilliant!!!! 8)
MEMBER # 257
Fool me once..shame on you. Fool me twice..I'm kickin' your a$$......

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2011, 04:36:59 pm »
BEER

;D
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.