Author Topic: Chrome 836 Tracy Project! (Sold 04/15/2023). It was fun!  (Read 162239 times)

Offline seaweb11

• 1st Mate &
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Ride & Smile
    • Playground Directory
Re: My chrome 836 Tracy Project!
« Reply #525 on: March 13, 2009, 08:17:39 pm »
 ; 8)

Offline Jerry Rxman Griffin aka MuthaF'er

• This MuthaF'er is getting to be a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #526 on: March 14, 2009, 11:09:26 am »
Yeah, and on top of that you 2 guys are degenerate bastards too  ::)  ;D  :o. Save a cell bunk for me.  ;)
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #527 on: March 14, 2009, 11:19:24 am »
I cant wait to meet up  (for beers) with Seaweb. Fun Jimmy, amd Magpie, and Feliz and a few others at Tsawassen.

I will be wearing my necklace with a sohc 750 breather cover or valvecover (depends on how lubed my mood is).. so you can all spot me w/o trouble..

Should have a table there... hmmmm.. maybe we will bring Yuikon Jack with us.. ;D
Maker of the WELDLESS 750 Frame Kit
dodogas99@gmail.com
Kelowna B.C.       Canada

My next bike will be a ..ANFOB.....

It's All part of the ADVENTURE...

73 836cc.. Green, had it for 3 decades!!
Lost quite a few CB 750's along the way

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #528 on: March 14, 2009, 01:39:43 pm »
Frank,

I didn't know you are Mr Bling  :D  You got a gold grill on yo teeth and droopy pants too homie ? ;)

You guys have a couple beers for me too.
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

Offline seaweb11

• 1st Mate &
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Ride & Smile
    • Playground Directory
« Reply #529 on: March 16, 2009, 05:36:50 pm »
I had a little get-away this weekend with the wife to Victoria.  Along the way I dropped of my Lester Wheels to a polisher to sort out before I do the final powder coat.

While away we had the great opportunity to have dinner with Cliff ....aka "Magpie" and his wife at a recently opened pub that they had not been to yet.

We sat 1st in an area that was to loud to hear one another so we moved and found a "completely separate"  BIG room with table for 4 in front of a fire place , and private covered/heated balcony area.

3 hours later we said our good-nights ;D 

Thanks for a great evening in Victoria

Cliff on left , me on the right.   Man that was a nice place to hang out 8)

Offline Magpie

• Old Timer
« Reply #530 on: March 16, 2009, 07:19:24 pm »
Great picture Derek! And it was a great time. Thanks for spending the evening with us, our treat next time.
Come to Vancouver Island you guys, you'll love it here.
Cliff.

Offline seaweb11

• 1st Mate &
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Ride & Smile
    • Playground Directory
« Reply #531 on: March 18, 2009, 06:20:13 pm »
Speedo came in today ;D  Also an oil pressure wire and boot ;D
The Fairing is pretty much trimmed down to where I want it so off it came today for the beginning of the bucket wiring. My daughter was kind enough to come out to the garage and work with me for some of the easy stuff.  Now I can go back to Breezes' Yami wire install instructions :o

Offline mrbreeze

• Not your average
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Shut up when you're talkin' to me!!
« Reply #532 on: March 18, 2009, 06:51:00 pm »
Damn.....that sucker is shiney Derek. It even looks cool with the tank off!!!! I wanted to tell ya........disregard what I said earlier about leaving all the speedo and lights and stuff off until after seating the head bearings. I found out you can sneak a punch in under the top triple and tighten it up a bit.
MEMBER # 257
Fool me once..shame on you. Fool me twice..I'm kickin' your a$$......

fuzzybutt

« Reply #533 on: March 18, 2009, 11:14:29 pm »
looking good Derek. cant wait to see it done.

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #534 on: March 18, 2009, 11:38:14 pm »
Aw hell, forget that damn bike, let's have some more garage stuff. Looks better than last I saw it  :D

You and I both know that island isn't big enough for you and the Chrome Monster  ;)

Offline seaweb11

• 1st Mate &
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Ride & Smile
    • Playground Directory
« Reply #535 on: March 19, 2009, 12:06:11 am »
 ;D ;D

Offline seaweb11

• 1st Mate &
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Ride & Smile
    • Playground Directory
« Reply #536 on: March 20, 2009, 11:01:44 pm »
A "Non Color Blind"  friend came over today and we made a ton of progress.
Breeze.........I only had 4 wires on right side Yami control?

Between old components, 1/2 1978 motor and 1/2 1972, a new wiring harness and Yami controls, this has been a task.

We ended with the horn working, and the starter cranking the motor over.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)
I'm stoked. The majority of wiring is done, just a couple of sticky points and a lack of brackets for the front signals.

Not bad for a  "Den/Garage build"  ;D ;D ;D ;D

P.S. I never had a proper 3 prong plug for the headlight on this bike.   Any one have one hanging off an old loom?

A good day :D

Offline Magpie

• Old Timer
« Reply #537 on: March 21, 2009, 02:59:46 pm »
Geez, I have to put on sunglasses every time I see that thing! I have a spare headlight plug but it only has the blue and green wires on it. You're welcome to it but you'll have to make something up for the missing white wire. I've torn the garage apart looking for it but it appears to have left the building.
Cliff.

fuzzybutt

« Reply #538 on: March 21, 2009, 06:27:22 pm »
i got my headlight harness at oreillys auto parts, 9 bucks for 2 high temp ones.

Offline seaweb11

• 1st Mate &
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Ride & Smile
    • Playground Directory
« Reply #539 on: March 21, 2009, 07:34:37 pm »
Thanks guys ......

754 did gat a chance you mail the brake light bracket?

billybobobrain

« Reply #540 on: March 21, 2009, 08:01:33 pm »
I pitty the fool going up against this bike in a BOTM! :o

Offline seaweb11

• 1st Mate &
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Ride & Smile
    • Playground Directory
« Reply #541 on: March 22, 2009, 01:16:29 pm »
An exhausting search in all my boxes of stuff turned up the headlight plug I was missing.
Finished all the wiring today ;D ;D

Offline Magpie

• Old Timer
« Reply #542 on: March 22, 2009, 02:09:08 pm »
Great! When is the ceremonial first push of the starter button?
Cliff.

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #543 on: March 22, 2009, 02:36:12 pm »
Seaweb, it should be there in the next 2 days, put it on a piece of wood and give it a few taps.. I threw a fit at the PO and jumped on it a few times.. >:( :o
Maker of the WELDLESS 750 Frame Kit
dodogas99@gmail.com
Kelowna B.C.       Canada

My next bike will be a ..ANFOB.....

It's All part of the ADVENTURE...

73 836cc.. Green, had it for 3 decades!!
Lost quite a few CB 750's along the way

Offline seaweb11

• 1st Mate &
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Ride & Smile
    • Playground Directory
« Reply #544 on: March 22, 2009, 08:15:22 pm »

Seaweb, it should be there in the next 2 days, put it on a piece of wood and give it a few taps.. I threw a fit at the PO and jumped on it a few times.. >:( :o

Everything helps ;D  Thanks again for spending some time for me. 8)

Great! When is the ceremonial first push of the starter button?
Cliff.

Yesterday. No oil in it yet so it was just a quick blip starter check.   Who knows what evil lurks in the hart of an 836 ;D

As for starting it.
I am committed to not taking the bike off the lift until Lester wheels are all polished and powder coated and back on bike with dual breaks all installed.   I can't put exhaust back on until then.  Doesn't seem a good idea to start this type of motor without any exhaust back pressure.

Installed a small K&N to the top engine breather today along with cleaning up all the wiring. ;D

Crap, just remembered I didn't install the Rev Limiter*Frickin@_)(*FRakin%#@*^^%!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Oh well at least I have a good stable electric platform to start from while I read the instructions ;)

I would be interested in hearing from members regarding "The proper way to break in this motor with all the goodies in without Fu*ing it up"   The term "Grenade" is not a happy thought ::)

You all know who you are ;D 8)......... Looking forward to some learning here as always.

It's going to be rollin................soon..................... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #545 on: March 22, 2009, 10:37:35 pm »
3 laps around the island, stop at the restaurant/bar each time, say hello to the plant guy, ferry to Nanaimo, 2 laps around Vancouver Island stopping in Victoria for beers and back home. THEN start your bike. Be cautious at first. Make sure you have proper oil pressure with no squealing top end. Look for leaks. Rev it slightly, listening and looking THEN RIDE THAT CHROME MONSTER SUM#$%* cautiously! Ease it through lower gears working your way up to 5K to 7K until you're confident all is good. Maybe 80km this way. Change the oil, perfect tune up then slowly start breaking it in like you plan on riding it. Run up the rpms to redline without too much load. Vary the rpm runs. Vary the speeds. Gotta make sure you get the rings seated early. If it were me I'd flog tha #$%* outta it at about 800km.

OR on the other hand, a short trip to Colorado ought to do it  ;) Skiing this week and riding next week.

Offline andy750

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #546 on: March 23, 2009, 04:37:15 am »
I agree with Jerrys break-in procedure....having done it myself more than a few times  ;).

Good luck with it and dont forget the video!

cheers
Andy
Current bikes
1. CB750K4: Long distance bike, 17 countries and counting...2001 - Trans-USA-Mexico, 2003 - European Tour, 2004 - SOHC Easy Rider Trip , 2008 - Adirondack Tour 2-up , 2013 - Tail of the Dragon Tour , 2017: 836 kit install and bottom end rebuild. And rebirth: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,173213.msg2029836.html#msg2029836
2. CB750/810cc K2  - road racer with JMR worked head 71 hp
3. Yamaha Tenere T700 2022

Where did you go on your bike today? - http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=45183.2350

Offline mystic_1

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1970 CB750K
« Reply #547 on: March 24, 2009, 03:51:59 pm »
I can't put exhaust back on until then.  Doesn't seem a good idea to start this type of motor without any exhaust back pressure.

The big problem with running no exhaust at all, from what I understand, is that when the exhaust port closes, the moving exhaust gasses in the exhaust tract continue moving outward due to momentum, creating a vacuum at the port.  This vacuum pulls gasses back into the exhaust tract (and is the source of the reversion pulses used in two-stroke exhaust systems) which normally, in a pipe, is exhaust gasses which are lacking in O2.  Without a pipe you're pulling in outside air with available O2 which reacts with the super-hot exhaust valves, thus "burning" them.

But I may have it wrong, others know far more about this sort of thing than I do.

mystic_1
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."
- John Augustus Shedd

My build thread:  http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=68952.0

Offline seaweb11

• 1st Mate &
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Ride & Smile
    • Playground Directory
« Reply #548 on: March 25, 2009, 05:17:01 pm »
Received "Motion Pro" cables yesterday.
Throttle:
Clutch:
and a new speedo cable:
These are Yamaha X650 controls on bars to 750 engine.

Only problem encountered was the throttle cable slack at the motor was 3/4" to long, and sheath could have been an inch shorter.  Called "Willy" at the Honda dealership in Nanaimo and asked if he could help.
He put me on hold and came back to the phone with his private stash of wire ends ;D  Yup he said........I jumped on the next ferry, dropped it of at 4:00 and picked it up again at 5:15.  I was carrying a 6 pack of beer and when I asked for a bill, the front desk guy said that will do fine 8) 8)

Man It's great when a 6 pack still has value in the real world of small jobs.

Wired in the Rev Limiter and got all the wires tuck up nice.

Rear Sets with brake switch all sorted ;D

Rev Limiter installed beside battery.

A friend will be picking my beaded and polished wheels on Fri,   off to Powder coating on Monday.
FULL ON PUSH now......I might just make  Tsawwassen with the original body.  :o

Offline mystic_1

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1970 CB750K
« Reply #549 on: March 25, 2009, 06:06:11 pm »
Bah, still no doorway trim!  Slacker!  Slacker, I say!

<points accusingly>

mystic_1

ps bike's looking great, but your steering damper.... is not chrome.  ;)
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."
- John Augustus Shedd

My build thread:  http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=68952.0