Author Topic: gun massacre  (Read 27240 times)

Offline nccb

• Expert
  • 1974 CB750 Four
Re: gun massacre
« Reply #150 on: May 30, 2014, 12:40:40 pm »
this thread is changing courses, perhaps we should let it die before we have a bunch of unfriendly people riding around on Hondas.  That's right, don't you ruin the phrase! >:(

;D

Offline Bob Wessner

• "Carbs Suck!"
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #151 on: May 30, 2014, 02:02:52 pm »
If this thread can't continue rationaly and objectively, it will be locked.
We'll all be someone else's PO some day.

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
« Reply #152 on: May 30, 2014, 02:34:34 pm »
Well Dave is a troublemaker, Bob. Let's see if we can't get him to behave a bit better  :)
'74 550 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=126401.0
'73 500 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=132935.0

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of it's victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #153 on: May 30, 2014, 03:31:37 pm »
I said it earlier, mass shootings are mostly done by liberals, or at least by people who vote democrats.  They take a fetus as a "thing" they have the right to dispose of as they please and human being is for them another "thing". 

WOW. Come on people this was a quite constructive thread, blatantly stupid posts like this one above do absolutely nothing for anyones point of view. Sorry Prokop, but mate....that wasn't very good. You made the point clear that you came from a far worse experience in your home country to the United States, you obviously went forward from your situation, I find myself in a  safer country here so in my experience it would be like going backwards for me {conflicting points of view already}, just because your situation has improved doesn't mean its better than mine or anyone else's here, also singling out a whole base of people, Liberals as the problem is only shoving your political beliefs down everyones throat and not needed, i would say that that was a typical right wing comment based on nothing as was your "fetus" comment, how about "people" for a label, thats the problem with society these days, its been divided up into competing factions by our wonderfully inept politicians, thats what they want, we are all just people, working to a common cause would be far more productive than pursuing selfish ideals.... Lets keep this constructive and on track for once... ;)

Good work Cal for trying to keep this rational and on track....... ;)
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.

Offline demon78

• Old Timer
  • After work to the "Wets"
« Reply #154 on: May 30, 2014, 03:44:14 pm »
Agreed RR but you got to admit that Dave's a #$%* disturber I do and admire a comment that can crank things up with so few words ( I mean 2 words and a question mark ) well done Dave. I agree it's something that needs to hashed out rationally and only people that are intelligent and open minded can come up with a solution. Time for a suds.
Bill the demon.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 03:50:52 pm by demon74 »

Offline Roach Carver

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #155 on: May 30, 2014, 04:29:30 pm »
I blame Dave for all my problems. I am almost positive that he is responsible for global warming.

Offline nccb

• Expert
  • 1974 CB750 Four
« Reply #156 on: May 30, 2014, 04:45:52 pm »
I blame Dave for all my problems. I am almost positive that he is responsible for global warming.

he created the hole in the ozone above Australia.

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #157 on: May 30, 2014, 05:20:36 pm »
and that was just with one fart!i didn't intend on this all becoming as big as it has,im just sorry for the folks involved and its truly sad to see things like this in our modern world in modern cultures?there is no answer I don't think?its like being struck by lightning?

Offline BobbyR

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Proud Owner of the Babe Thread & Dirty Old Man
« Reply #158 on: May 30, 2014, 05:51:50 pm »
Dave, I said it before, there is no easy solution solution in the U.S due to the incredible number of firearms in private hands. I found these nuggets in a report to the US Congress.  Here is how many Guns are estimated to be in the US, I was surprised at the acceleration:

How Many Guns Are in the United States?

The National Institute of Justice (NIJ) reported in a national survey that in 1994, 44 million people, approximately 35% of households, owned 192 million firearms, 65 million of which were handguns.
Seventy-four percent of those individuals were reported to own more than one firearm.

According to the ATF, by the end of 1996 approximately 242 million firearms were available for sale to or were possessed by civilians in the United States.
That total includes roughly 72 million handguns (mostly pistols, revolvers, and derringers), 76 million rifles, and 64million shotguns.

By 2000, the number of firearms had increased to approximately 259 million:
92 million handguns, 92 million rifles, and 75 million shotguns.
By 2007, the number of firearms had increased to approximately 294 million: 106 million handguns, 105 million rifles, and 83 million shotguns

Per capita, the civilian gun stock has roughly doubled since 1968, from one gun per every two persons to one gun per person.

There is a bright spot:

How Often Are Guns Used in Homicides?

As Ta b l e 1 shows, reports submitted by state and local law enforcement agencies to the FBI and
published annually in the Uniform Crime Reports indicate that the firearms-related murder and
non-negligent manslaughter rate per 100,000 of the population decreased from 6.6 for 1993 to 3.6
for 2000.

The rate held steady at 3.6 for 2001 and fluctuated thereafter between a high of 3.9 for
2006 and 2007, and a low of 3.2 for 2010. For 2011, it has remained at 3.2.

It is a long report to Congress with some interesting facts in it, it is just facts with no opinion. You can find it here: http://www.fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/RL32842.pdf 

Dedicated to Sgt. Howard Bruckner 1950 - 1969. KIA LONG KHANH.

But we were boys, and boys will be boys, and so they will. To us, everything was dangerous, but what of that? Had we not been made to live forever?

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • I love to restore & travel. Keep'em Going Strong !
« Reply #159 on: May 30, 2014, 06:14:25 pm »
and that was just with one fart!i didn't intend on this all becoming as big as it has,im just sorry for the folks involved and its truly sad to see things like this in our modern world in modern cultures?there is no answer I don't think?its like being struck by lightning?

Dave,
Do you have a Great Big washing machine we can put all this into for a few days ?  Next time be careful how you 'break wind' Dave  :o
A 'hot topic' No Doubt ! but well worth airing out & better when we all get together right and 'on track' for a good outlook for the future;I know that's possible but I don't have any details as to just exactly how today.  ::)  I'm going to keep 'looking up'  ;)  :) 
« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 08:23:57 pm by grcamna2 »
75' CB400F/'bunch o' parts' & 81' CB125S modded to a 'CB200S'
  I love the small ones too !
Do your BEST...nobody can take that away from you.

Offline kmb69

• Master
« Reply #160 on: May 30, 2014, 07:07:16 pm »
That is a bright spot Bobby, but any number is still too high. As your post demonstrates, it would be next to impossible to confiscate every gun. And yes Dave, it is truly sad to see this situation in a supposedly modern, civilized society. My heart goes out to all the innocents and their families that have fallen victim to the insanity. Another sad situation is the typical emotional knee jerk reaction - "Take the guns" when these events are essentially manifestations of a much deeper cancer. That reaction is no different than removing alcohol from all, including those who drink responsibly, because there are those that don't and get behind the wheel while intoxicated and kill innocents even if unintended. The loonies hell bent on mass murder will devise a new tool to achieve their demented goals, whether it is propane tank bombs, automobiles, knives, poisons, or whatever. The Chinese for example have no personal guns and have still experienced multiple mass murders of significant numbers over the last few years by loonies with knives. It is fixable Dave, but it will take time to get enough on board to accept the real reasons AND be willing to do what it takes to fix it.

nightpoison nails it:
What to do boils down to a handful of things people don't want to address.
Our broken criminal justice system
The rise of the welfare state
Immigration
Family dynamic
Specificly the indoctrination of our children. Everyone are winners, there are no losers. you don't need to work hard. Equal wagers for less work.
Come on, no more dodgeball in our schools?
And of course the glorification of violence in our media

AJK

« Reply #161 on: May 30, 2014, 10:07:38 pm »
Nightpoison is more on the money than is led on to beleive & there is heaps that could be said on each point. But those points are still symptoms of a more fundamental problem which is one of spiritual sickness. Did you see the news the other day of the 2 teenage girls in India which were raped then hanged by some low life scum? Its not a question of weapon, but that of spiritual sickness. The weapon is just the means to their end, but not the cause.
 When God is missing, what can we expect?, and where there is no faith, a man should at least be guided by his concience, if there is still some light left in it. One day, we will all be held accountable, gauranteed.

This will be my last post on this thread. Dave's not a bad bloke.

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #162 on: May 30, 2014, 10:30:42 pm »
Nightpoison is more on the money than is led on to beleive & there is heaps that could be said on each point. But those points are still symptoms of a more fundamental problem which is one of spiritual sickness. Did you see the news the other day of the 2 teenage girls in India which were raped then hanged by some low life scum? Its not a question of weapon, but that of spiritual sickness. The weapon is just the means to their end, but not the cause.
 When God is missing, what can we expect?, and where there is no faith, a man should at least be guided by his concience, if there is still some light left in it. One day, we will all be held accountable, gauranteed.

Sorry mate but you lost me here, Don't get me started on religion and the trouble it causes, you do NOT need any God to have morals, oh and those 2 Indian girls hanged themselves in shame, absolutely terrible...
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.

Offline BeSeeingYou

• Old Timer
« Reply #163 on: May 30, 2014, 10:52:47 pm »
  Ninty-nine out of one hundred of these massacres are perpetrated by individuals associated with a particular demographic and/or were raised in a familial environment of a particular political persuasion and/or just obvious nut cases whose family refused to acknowlege and have them committed for help - NOT "gun crazy rednecks" or "NRA members" or "extreme right wingers" or "The Tea Party".

OK, off my toilet now.

There I fixed it for you.  Aside from all the other "facts" that you presented which I don't see any point repeating I am curious about how you came about this "99 out of 100 fact" Please do tell.  It wouldn't have anything to do with your ass would it? ;D
I was actually giving the left of center the benefit of any doubt. I challenge you to name just one of the mass murderers in recent years that does not come from one or more of the categories as I described.

On August 5, 2012, Wade Michael Page fatally shot six people and wounded four others at a Sikh temple in Oak Creek, Wisconsin.  Obviously not a "lefty as you and others seem to imply...actually more of an "extreme right winger" to borrow your phrase.  You need anymore examples. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
  As I asked before where is your information that somehow allows you to know the political persuasion of these mass shooters and what particular demographic are you referring to...the fact that 70% of the mass shootings in this country are carried out by middle or upper middle class white males?
   You seem to get very touchy when some one questions stuff that you pull out of your ass and present as fact just because you want it to fit into your little ideological box.

As far as your other crack:
Get a grip man, take control of your life. Try accepting some personal responsibility.

All I can say is my wife and I have both been self-employed for the majority of our working careers....we have created our own economic opportunities and funded our own retirement and will be taking advantage of that soon, well before age 65.  We are living the American Dream...how's that for taking control of your life and taking personal  responsibility. 8)
« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 11:32:59 pm by srust58 »

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #164 on: May 30, 2014, 11:14:32 pm »
anyone whod have their photo taken with a swastika in the background is disturbed.

Offline martin99

• UK Based, Non-
  • Master
  • Adventure before Dementia
« Reply #165 on: May 30, 2014, 11:57:05 pm »
anyone whod have their photo taken with a swastika in the background is disturbed.

Totally agree. And what the hell has it got to do with the discussion anyway?
« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 11:59:44 pm by oldskoolnuts »
Build threads:
77 750F2 Refresh Project http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=144075.0
TRIBSA http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,160296.0.html

1977 CB750 F2
1958 Norton Model 99
2011 Triumph Street Triple 675

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #166 on: May 31, 2014, 01:20:48 am »
Er, I'm no expert of course, but I think Rusty was replying to Kmb69's challenge that the mass killer in the pic wasn't a left wing Obama loving pinko democrat, but an extreme right wing white supremacist redneck wanker, (I presume that's what the symbol on his T shirt depicts?) who likes to decorate his "Man Cave" with Nazi memorabilia? ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline Roach Carver

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #167 on: May 31, 2014, 03:29:19 am »
I don't associate right wing / conservatives with neo nazi's.

Offline demon78

• Old Timer
« Reply #168 on: May 31, 2014, 03:47:37 am »
Oh is that the symbol for "Wanker" ?That explains a few things and it's nice that we finally have a quick and easy way of identifying "those people" now if we could agree on one for Religion, we could get a set of international road signs, you know for stop, 30 kph, bump, wanker, dump it'd be wonderful, then when you're any where in the world driving or walking you could know what to expect ahead, airport, goats, public toilet, religious center, firing range. See people, we are coming together.
Now some one has said that when he was growing up that they had figured out where not to go, same here, Vancouver being a sea port meant there were places where it was not safe, so of course, first chance we got that's were we'd head and about that, I'm sure there was a lot of Chinese, Sikhs, Indians (first nations), Maylays, Longshoremen who went home at the end of their days and #$%*ed at their wives or friends about goddam curious kids getting into trouble and where were their parents.
As far as the gun thing goes if you guys don't sort it out, you'll implode. You will most likely be welcome here but you'll have to leave your magic wands on the other side.
Bill the demon.

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
« Reply #169 on: May 31, 2014, 04:35:32 am »
Can we stop piling on the "rednecks"? I'm a redneck and some of my best friends are too. But they're (I won't include myself out of humility) are the nicest blokes youll ever meet. Do anything for you at the drop of a hat, regardless of who you are, how you vote, or what color you are.

I'm chiding a bit of course, but here in the States, there is a general stereotyping of "gun toting rednecks" that equates to racists, road sign shooting, beer drinking, truck driving ne'er do wells. While there is always some truth in generalizations, it is no more accurate a description of one who is void of compassion, social concerns, or equality due simply to their cultural heritage.

I'm with srust. Attempting to associate a political perspective to the origin of these violent loons is a complete farce. Thought I had tripped and landed in a Lewis Carroll scene when I read it.

I think we all agree, finally, that there is a general social problem caused by numerous factors. All I want to know now is how do we start weeding out these whacks before they do harm?

Terry, Retro, AJK - what's the criminal justice model in Oz for offenders who might use a gun in the commission of a crime? Drug crimes? Death Penalty? How have you all dissuaded the violent from acting out so frequently?

Also noticed some undertones of immigration "stigmas" starting to surface inn Oz. A reference was made to only the "Muslims" are using guns in crime here now. Is that genuinely becoming a problem? Is there a rise in street crime causing a renewed anxiety with citizens? I equate that to what occurred here in the states from the late '70s, through the mid '90s. The drug trade, cocaine then crack, became heavily associated with the Colombians, then Jamaicans, then American Blacks. A new, open enterprising economy.

It was during this period in our street crime growth that we passed so many new Federal laws on firearms. This was mostly to reduce the types of weapons, but moreover, much of thee new laws had more to do with punishment of the offender. Some argue, from then, the murder rates in most of our capital cities has declined heavily. But this gave rise to the new breed of villan. The societal mass murderer.

Without offending anyone, AJK has a valid point. Some level of morality, spirituality, call it what you prefer, (certainly it MUST come from the parents first) is required for people to associate with others in sensible means. We aren't born with manners, or respect, these are taught. They are observed. Proper parenting to begin a persons life must be occur. It's not a guarantee on the outcome, but it guarantees the best possible chances for a proper outcome.

Whether your Dogma ate your Karma, or Darwin's proposal rings true to you, humans remain animals. And animals will always resort to base instinct in bad situations. We choose to ignore this about ourselves. I'd like to think that we have overcome these "instincts" due to greater effort on our "spiritual/moral/principled" upbringing. But what we see moreover in Western societies is the degradation of this element in more young peoples lives.

I attribute this (next long winded) element to a significant root cause of the rise of the evil doers.

What scares me the most about these "shooters" is that by and large, they are young people. How tragic that someone so young would choose such a drastic method or action. Think about that with great pause. Really, can you ever remember in your lifetime, when you might have ever conceived an idea to perpetrate such a violent action? The most heinous thing I ever contemplated while squirreled away in my treehouse as a moody little brat, was throwing tomatoes at the neighbors house to retaliate against their son who clothes-lined me on my bike. I had a gun or two and knew damn well how to use them. But it NEVER entered my mind. Where does the lunacy, the despair, the wanton disregard come from?

It's not income inequality, racial inequality, poverty, or any other label. It's closer to what "AJK" was intending (minus the Religious overtones in respect to agnostics). It must be as this is the only explanation how civilized societies could breed such evil doers.

Okay, I confess, a lot of this very anecdotal evidence. But this is something on which I spend a great deal of time considering. I'm a father of 4, plus some surrogate kids. I've coached kids in sport for much of my life. I'm very involved in kids community activities. I see evidence of "this" frequently (again, it's anecdotal) and it just makes me wonder, "If you must have a license to have a dog, drive a car, freshwater fish, carry a gun; then why the EFF don't you require a license to have or raise kid!!!!

So, srust, Jeff, Duke, I'll register ALL my guns if you help me campaign for Parent Licensing! Sorry, couldn't help myself in that one....

Anyway, to all of you, I bid you peace and safety and apologies for the long winded ness. I just can't tolerate this issue in my country and need to participate in finding a real remedy. It just tears me up to see this nonsense end so many young peoples lives all too damn frequently.

For any of those of you who are apathetic about fixing this problem, whether you are pro- or anti- gun: I dare you to attend a single crime scene or gravesite of a young person who was the innocent victim of a heinous crime. Take notice of the heavy cloud of edges pair that encompasses an entire community of people. Think there's no more "us" in our society? You're dead wrong.

The isolationist behaviour is borne of frustration and apathy, not a lack of compassion. That's where AJK and I are oriented I think.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of it's victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

Offline demon78

• Old Timer
« Reply #170 on: May 31, 2014, 05:19:56 am »
The license for parents is the first and best place to start, if you did that with a proper set of criteria you would in a couple of generations eliminate a lot of the misery that we have now and in the future and in doing so would cut down on  the need for wars, guns, churches/madrassa's  crime, banks and a bunch of other plagues.
The problem is to come up with an intelligent minimum set of requirements, it would require the best minds in the world to bend their efforts to the problem of raising children.
But think of what could be done.
Bill the demon.

Offline FuZZie

• Expert
  • If I is expert, I can has cheezburger?
« Reply #171 on: May 31, 2014, 05:22:06 am »
What scares me the most about these "shooters" is that by and large, they are young people. How tragic that someone so young would choose such a drastic method or action. Think about that with great pause. Really, can you ever remember in your lifetime, when you might have ever conceived an idea to perpetrate such a violent action? The most heinous thing I ever contemplated while squirreled away in my treehouse as a moody little brat, was throwing tomatoes at the neighbors house to retaliate against their son who clothes-lined me on my bike. I had a gun or two and knew damn well how to use them. But it NEVER entered my mind. Where does the lunacy, the despair, the wanton disregard come from?

Well said and what I would consider moving towards the root of the problem!
The issue is how do you find and keep the "mental cases" away from guns?

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #172 on: May 31, 2014, 05:33:01 am »

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
« Reply #173 on: May 31, 2014, 07:46:33 am »
Fuzzie - perhaps an even finer point, is how do you keep the mental cases from considering any weapon as a tool to commit their atrocities? We can't limit their access only to guns, we must develop a method for them to not consider these mass public violent acts. Take away their gun, they'll grab a knife, or a car or a crock pot filler with roofing nails. It won't stop them. We must find a way to alter their consideration and restore humane thinking.

That's my strongest opinion on the matter.

My apologies for the multitude of ranting and preaching. Never meant to monopolize the thread or portray myself any differently from anyone else. This just really hits close to home for me, so it brings out my keyboard pretty darn quickly.

Cheers all!

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #174 on: May 31, 2014, 08:09:49 am »
I don't want to sound like an add for Marvel comics or anything but wouldn't it be nice if their were more guys like the hero(played by Bruce Willis) in that movie 'Unbreakable' that weren't scared off by statistics but would Step Up and be counted ?
 I sure hear lots of bias w/ the 6 o'clock news being SO negative,the way they talk it can make you not want to imagine there could be any Good Guys out there.