Author Topic: What did you do to your bike today ?  (Read 3150896 times)

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
Re: What did you do to your bike today ?
« Reply #9200 on: February 10, 2012, 05:14:02 pm »
You guys can't get anything over on me --------------  :)

Ha ha, over here we have an old saying, "There's no flies on you" which means that we can't put anything over you Eric, so, considering your excellent sleuthing skills, (drumroll) "Eric, there's no flies on you"! (but you can see where they've been..............) ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline ekpent

• Really Old Timer ...
  • To many bikes-but lookin' for more
« Reply #9201 on: February 10, 2012, 05:16:13 pm »
Over here flies usually have something to do with dog sh%t Terry,may apply to me possibly somehow  :D

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #9202 on: February 10, 2012, 05:21:28 pm »
Ha ha, I hope not Eric, it's hot and humid here at the moment, and the fricking flies are everywhere, if you saw me out in my garage you could mistake me for someone with tourette's, trying to ward those little feckers away, a mate demonstarted his new electronic fly swatter to me on Thursday, needless to say, I've ordered one! Cheers, Terry. ;D 
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Today's Lesson: One good turn deserves another.
« Reply #9203 on: February 10, 2012, 05:23:53 pm »
Ha ha, I hope not Eric, it's hot and humid here at the moment, and the fricking flies are everywhere, if you saw me out in my garage you could mistake me for someone with tourette's, trying to ward those little feckers away, a mate demonstarted his new electronic fly swatter to me on Thursday, needless to say, I've ordered one! Cheers, Terry. ;D

Flies v Freezing  hmmm
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #9204 on: February 10, 2012, 05:34:13 pm »
Ha ha, well Ron, my dad always said "You can always make yourself warmer", but if I had the choices you've offered, I'll take the "Dunny Budgies" every time, I hate cold weather! Cheers, Terry. ;D

Offline 70CB750

• Labor omnia vincit improbus.
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Northern Virginia
« Reply #9205 on: February 11, 2012, 04:09:08 am »
Pushed her under the barn and plugged her in,  the weather is not cooperating in VA.

Offline hoodellyhoo

• CB350F
  • Master
« Reply #9206 on: February 11, 2012, 08:54:13 am »
sold more parts to fund the K6 and bought some Aircraft Stripper so I can get around to polishing my fork bottoms one of these days.
1972 CB350F (Back from the Dead!)- http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=20822.0
1965? S65 - Coming Eventually!
1972 CB750K2 (father-son project)
1976 CB750K6- (sold) http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=96859.0
1976 CB750K6 (sold)- http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=62569.0

Offline Tews19

• I am no
  • Really Old Timer ...
What did you do to your bike today ?
« Reply #9207 on: February 11, 2012, 02:28:44 pm »
I received the 750's little brother in the mail today.
1969 Honda CB750... Basket case
1970 Honda CB750 survivor.

Offline CycleRanger

• No comment about being an
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas Shop Manual Advocate
« Reply #9208 on: February 11, 2012, 02:37:06 pm »
I received the 750's little brother in the mail today.

Let's get small! ;)
Do you have a copy of the Honda Shop Manual or Parts List for your bike? Get one here:
https://www.honda4fun.com/materiale/documentazione-tecnica
CB750K5        '79 XL250s     CL350K3
CB750K3        '76 XS650      '76 CJ360T

Offline Tree

• Enthusiast
  • CB750K5
« Reply #9209 on: February 11, 2012, 03:47:06 pm »
Patched some holes in the collector on my 750F3.   I put some JB Weld in the holes, coated the back of some aluminum flashing with JB Weld, and then clamped it on with hose clamps.  How long do you think it will hold?  I just read the JB weld package and it said not recommended for use on exhaust manifolds where the temperature gets greater than 500F; wonder how hot the collector gets. 

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Ride like you're invisible
« Reply #9210 on: February 11, 2012, 04:04:27 pm »
Patched some holes in the collector on my 750F3.   I put some JB Weld in the holes, coated the back of some aluminum flashing with JB Weld, and then clamped it on with hose clamps.  How long do you think it will hold?  I just read the JB weld package and it said not recommended for use on exhaust manifolds where the temperature gets greater than 500F; wonder how hot the collector gets. 

there is a product called Fahrenheit epoxy that works similar to JB. I had good luck with it on an exhaust patch.  It used to be sold at Home Depot but not anymore...Larry

Offline 70CB750

• Labor omnia vincit improbus.
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Northern Virginia
« Reply #9211 on: February 11, 2012, 05:09:30 pm »
I changed oil in forks - that was a struggle - and took of the exhaust.

Offline Dimitri13

• Not a
  • Master
  • 1974 CB550K
« Reply #9212 on: February 11, 2012, 06:50:02 pm »
Replaced the master cylinder with one from mikesxs. Keeps the vintage appearance, but this one actually works.

Also picked up my new chain. Too exhausted to put it on though.

Offline Gruffles

What did you do to your bike today ?
« Reply #9213 on: February 11, 2012, 06:59:10 pm »
Rebuilt the master cylinder, installed one piece Slingshot stainless line, and mounted/bled the front brake. I now have a functioning front brake!

Offline chickenman_26

• Hot Shot
    • Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #9214 on: February 11, 2012, 07:29:22 pm »
Rode my now completely leak free CB500 around 300 miles today with the wife on board. Exploring the Arizona outback. Then noticed my odometer and trip meter weren't working. This is the second speedo this has happened on.  The drive gears inside ate each other. ??? Hoping the third time's the charm, I believe I'll try to get some lube on the gears of my next victim.  ::)

Stu

MCN DTF

Offline Dimitri13

• Not a
  • Master
  • 1974 CB550K
« Reply #9215 on: February 11, 2012, 09:00:36 pm »
Replaced the master cylinder with one from mikesxs. Keeps the vintage appearance, but this one actually works.

Also picked up my new chain. Too exhausted to put it on though.

Got unlazy and replaced the chain. Holy crap there's SUCH a difference between a rusted, stretched and kinked chain, and a nice shiny new chain. I actually forgot what a good chain is supposed to feel like.

Offline tweakin

• tear down
  • Master
« Reply #9216 on: February 12, 2012, 04:02:21 am »
Rode it for the first time since building the 915 engine for it... ;D 
What a big difference from the 836 I was previously running.  So much fun to twist the throttle!

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #9217 on: February 12, 2012, 04:13:38 am »
Well I've got a special guest in my garage for the next few weeks, Ken dropped his K1 off to me to do some work on, he imported it from the US last year, but he's so busy buying motorcycles (he was on his way to an auction to pick up a vintage Harley and a Honda XR500 when he dropped the K1 off) he doesn't have time to fix them. This particular K1 is a very early 1970 build, the Honda factory guys must have been screwing this one together right after the end of the K0 run, because it's engine number starts with 1048.

What's also amazing to me is that it's only got 5000 miles on the speedo!

Anyway, even though it's a low miler, it sat in a cold mid-western garage for many years, so it needs a tidy up. Ken gave me a long list of things to do, so I cracked on. I've got to get a new rear tire fitted, as the OEM one has dry rotted and is cracking on the sidewalls:

Speaking of tires, check out this front one, Ken bought this wheel from another guy in the US, I think he must have stored it under his bed because it's like new, the rubber is still soft, and it doesn't look like it's ever hit the road!

There's a box full of new parts I need to fit, including a new chain and sprockets, not that there's anything much wrong with the originals:

Ken complained that even with the "Auto Oiling" screw turned all the way closed, it still dripped oil, so I pulled the device apart and installed a small "O" Ring to completely seal it. I'm installing an "X Ring" chain, so apart from a little external lubing, it won't need the auto oiler. I love working on this bike, everything is so clean and new!

In Ken's box of new parts isa new set of Hagon shocks. For some reason the PO swapped out the OEM K1 shocks for some later K2-K6 shocks, and found an easier way of installing them, apparently?

Sadly, the swingarm is a little worse for wear as the battery overflow tube managed to vent corrosive fumes all over one side of it, so it'll have to be stripped and repainted. No deep pitting, just rusty.

Anyway, once I get the rear end back together I need to look to the front, and then I can start on all the "candy" in this box. Sweet! Cheers, Terry. ;D

Offline fastbroshi

• Puppet
  • Old Timer
« Reply #9218 on: February 12, 2012, 05:10:07 am »
My old CB550 got a new roommate today.  I sold my '87 VFR700 earlier this week and found this to replace it.....

Nice bike, you won't regret a VFR, one of the most versatile bikes out there, not to mention reliable.  I can't remember if the 5th gens had geared cams like my 4th, but in any case, they make a great sound too.  Those Beetle bags are icing on the cake, they're hard to find. 
Just call me Timmaaaaay!!!

Offline K5owner

• Enthusiast
« Reply #9219 on: February 12, 2012, 05:59:03 am »
Terry, great project! Love the side covers. Post more pics when you can. Thanks
-Ray
-----------------------------------------------------
Remembering the past...   Livn' the dream

1975 Honda CB750 K5, Restored Aug/2011
1971 Honda CB175 K5, next project
1977 Honda CT70, swap meet scooter
2004 Honda NRX1800 (Rune), Cruiser
1977 Honda GL1000, daily driver

Offline ekpent

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #9220 on: February 12, 2012, 06:11:29 am »
I revived a local Guys nice old family owned stock red 71- 750 last summer that had sat for too many years. Everything went well and bike is on the road but I was really NERVOUS working on it. Unlike when I work on something I own I was always worried bad about messing up something on his.
   Terry were your hands shaking a bit as you took a pull off a Lager or a little Scotch and gave those side covers a pull.   ;D   PS-Hope that Suzy gets you back on the road strong,like those bikes a lot,have one on the want list someday.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 06:47:07 am by ekpent »

Offline Cqyqte

• Hot Shot
« Reply #9221 on: February 12, 2012, 09:39:08 am »
Set up the rotisserie for some de-rusted Honda Tanker, should be ready to serve Monday or Tuesday  ;D

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Ride like you're invisible
« Reply #9222 on: February 12, 2012, 10:38:22 am »
Set up the rotisserie for some de-rusted Honda Tanker, should be ready to serve Monday or Tuesday  ;D

Great idea and labor saver....Larry

Offline OldSchool_IsCool

• Really feeling like an
  • Old Timer
  • WARNING: Objects in mirror appear to be LOSING!
« Reply #9223 on: February 12, 2012, 10:50:05 am »
What "sauce" are you using?  Dry rub maybe?
Can I have a motorcycle when I get old enough?
If you take care of it.
What do you have to do?
Lot’s of things. You’ve been watching me.
Will you show me all of them?
Sure.
Is it hard?
Not if you have the right attitudes. It’s having the right attitudes that’s hard.

Offline ekpent

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #9224 on: February 12, 2012, 10:55:17 am »
Yummy - I will take mine medium rare please. Always like to see these new labor savers. On a side note though I use one of those big rubber with the nut and bolt expander in the center type of rubber plugs to plug gas tank top for a no leak seal . May have a pic smewhere,works great if you want to save paint.