Author Topic: SOHC4 Relay Across America, Canada, and Beyond  (Read 52611 times)

Offline mrbreeze

• Not your average
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Shut up when you're talkin' to me!!
Re: SOHC4 Relay Across America, Canada, and Beyond
« Reply #75 on: December 13, 2010, 12:28:49 am »
This part of the run is gonna be interesting.......Will it come from the north and go South? Will it split from my neck of the woods and head over the mountains to Reno?.............WTF knows at this time but................there is quite a bit of time to figure it all out and this pertains to the whole country (countries...continents,etc.)................I like the idea of having different people in charge of different areas to keep it all in synch (Yeah...like synchin' yer carbs dumb a$$!!!!)...............This is gonna rock and if ya don't believe me ...................jus ask Jerry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
MEMBER # 257
Fool me once..shame on you. Fool me twice..I'm kickin' your a$$......

Offline drones76

• Enthusiast
« Reply #76 on: December 13, 2010, 04:54:51 am »
Can the mods get something like the link below added to this site?

If all participants put in their info we would have a pretty good idea for 'connecting the dots' to create the tour.

http://www.vjmog.com/modules.php?name=Nuke_Map

Also, anyone coordinating the areas where Robert Pirsig took the ride he documented in Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, it would be cool to include some of those roads.  He was a big proponent of staying off the slabs and hitting the backroads.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 05:02:32 am by drones76 »
1974 Norton Commando Roadster
1980 Goldwing Interstate
1975 Kawasaki KZ400D
Looking for a SOHC-4

Offline Bob Wessner

• "Carbs Suck!"
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #77 on: December 13, 2010, 05:13:59 am »
We do have a member map:

http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?action=googlemap

or, are you requesting a separate map for this particular effort?
We'll all be someone else's PO some day.

Offline mycb750k6

• "res ipsa loquitur"
  • Expert
  • Rocketman
    • photobucket albums
« Reply #78 on: December 13, 2010, 05:57:22 am »
grnrngr, mrbreeze,

I agree the west coast route needs to be worked out. The West coast is Alaska all the way down to SD. How to start? Maybe some winding around CA or the West coast first. Anyway the East coast has the same issue. And will it be an East to West route or West to East. You're right, it's getting complicated. Up to forty sign-ups  in two days though. And Bob, my pref would be to keep everything here on this site if possible. I don't know if that's possible if something like map my ride is used though. Maybe there just needs to be main meet-up points defined where the group gets bigger and bigger and the relay consists of many smaller legs. How to handle the gnome though.

Offline drones76

• Enthusiast
« Reply #79 on: December 13, 2010, 07:18:14 am »
We do have a member map:

I was thinking a separate map would give the coordinators a quick reference to see the best routes that could include the most people. 
1974 Norton Commando Roadster
1980 Goldwing Interstate
1975 Kawasaki KZ400D
Looking for a SOHC-4

Offline fasturd

• Hot Shot
« Reply #80 on: December 13, 2010, 09:10:45 am »
I am in for any part of western WI through Minneapolis, MN moving it to SD or IA. The hard part is going to be keeping in contact and keeping that lizard moving along! Besides the guy who already volunteered for MN I think I can scare up at least 10 more SOHCs for the MN leg.

We should approach

FUEL cafe in Milwaukee.
Diamonds Coffee in Minneapolis
Blue Cat motors in St.Paul

All great supporters of the vintage and cafe scene.
13 in the garage and counting...

Link to my link...   http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=58422.0

Offline Bob Wessner

• "Carbs Suck!"
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #81 on: December 13, 2010, 10:24:35 am »
We do have a member map:

I was thinking a separate map would give the coordinators a quick reference to see the best routes that could include the most people. 

I posted something in the Mods area to see if this is feasible.
We'll all be someone else's PO some day.

Offline domer

• I got a bridge for sale, and it was built by a
  • Expert
  • everything is better with a bag of weed!
« Reply #82 on: December 13, 2010, 10:37:28 am »
if this ends up taking off, i *might* be able provide greatly discounted hotel rooms in San Francisco... with secure parking. depends greatly on when and how many rooms... but the offer is on the table! if anyone needs it let me know as far in advance as possible and ill see what i can do!
oh and id be willing to cruise around the bay if y'all make it out here

Offline Jerry Rxman Griffin aka MuthaF'er

• This MuthaF'er is getting to be a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #83 on: December 13, 2010, 11:59:18 am »
grnrngr, mrbreeze,

I agree the west coast route needs to be worked out. The West coast is Alaska all the way down to SD. How to start? Maybe some winding around CA or the West coast first. Anyway the East coast has the same issue. And will it be an East to West route or West to East. You're right, it's getting complicated. Up to forty sign-ups  in two days though. And Bob, my pref would be to keep everything here on this site if possible. I don't know if that's possible if something like map my ride is used though. Maybe there just needs to be main meet-up points defined where the group gets bigger and bigger and the relay consists of many smaller legs. How to handle the gnome though.

Not too complicated but it's getting BIG! It's way too early to make it complicated. First stage, plant the idea with basic routing and bring people on board to see what we have. Second stage, fine tune the basic routing and determine an approximate date to start. Third stage, let the riders coordinate between themselves the exact routes they will ride and where/when they will meet up. Right now and always subject to change the initial plan begins At Daytona, heads west, back east then a final west leg. This covers all states and all southern provinces. It follows the weather as it seasonally warms up along the latitudes. Anyone should be able to meet up anywhere and ride for whatever distance they wish but it has to be based around a SOHC4.com member carrying and handing off the gnome. Does that sound logical? 
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #84 on: December 13, 2010, 12:14:44 pm »
Well guys, some fantastic news.

Old Scrambler has been in contact with the Editor in Chief at Motorcycle Classics magazine! He has asked to keep him posted on this.  ;D
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

Offline BobbyR

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Proud Owner of the Babe Thread & Dirty Old Man
« Reply #85 on: December 13, 2010, 12:25:04 pm »
It would probably be great to start in Daytona on Bike Week which is 3/4/11 for publicity. If they hug the Gulf  going west it should be warm enough. When they head back East it gets dodgy. Even the Southern tier of NY has strange weather int May.
Dedicated to Sgt. Howard Bruckner 1950 - 1969. KIA LONG KHANH.

But we were boys, and boys will be boys, and so they will. To us, everything was dangerous, but what of that? Had we not been made to live forever?

Offline theofam

• I'm cold, give me a
  • Hot Shot
  • Suffering from MDD - Mechanical Deficit Disorder
« Reply #86 on: December 13, 2010, 12:47:55 pm »
Jerry, I'd be happy to serve as your wingman through Colorado and into a surrounding state, depending on the final route!  Plenty of cool photo ops out here we could find.

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #87 on: December 13, 2010, 12:51:02 pm »
Bobby,

Exactly my logic hugging the Gulf (just did that), staying south into CA. I'm roughly thinking of as long as a 1 to 1.5 months west from Daytona on the first of 3 transcontinental legs. I'm thinking to cover the SE from FL first as the weather is beginning to be springtime there. Do you guys think we can ride the SE states in March? FL, GA coast, SC, NC, VA, KY, TN, AL, then head west.  I'm thinking this is feasible after having lived in KY for 40+ years. We may have some possible weather delays and shorter days but that is too be expected. Out west the guys want to ride up the Pacific coast toward San Fran then head eastward. This will probably get us as far into the calendar as the middle of April by the time we cross over the CA mountains and into Reno for the trek eastward through the high northern desert areas. Heading eastward would be more of a straight shot with some touring along the way. Maybe through OH then duck down to WV, MD, DC, DE, PA, NJ, then NY. We'd be covering the Atlantic coastal weather states at this point so that should be somewhat milder. May not hit NY until the middle of June perhaps. I'm not adverse to any changes in the routing so long as we connect dots in all 48 lowers. We will have to let the riders determine their routes so long as they can all connect. We can't do too much finite planning very far in advance, just more basic stuff.   

Offline Grnrngr

• Master
« Reply #88 on: December 13, 2010, 01:09:02 pm »
Out west the guys want to ride up the Pacific coast toward San Fran then head eastward. This will probably get us as far into the calendar as the middle of April by the time we cross over the CA mountains and into Reno for the trek eastward through the high northern desert areas. Heading eastward would be more of a straight shot with some touring along the way. Maybe through OH then duck down to WV, MD, DC, DE, PA, NJ, then NY.    

Hmmm...almost sounds like you're clipping off the NW? Not to mention, the N.CA coast up into OR and WA is some pretty country...
 another thought I had...since it's a coast to coast thing, what about grabbing a handful of east coast sand, say maybe 50ccs in honor of the world's most popular bike  (750ccs would prolly be more than a handful  ;D) , throwing it in the Pacific, grabbing some west coast sand and tossing it the Atlantic..
'72 CB750-K2 "PopCycle"
'73 CB750-K2 "Barney"
'77 CB750A   
'83 Virago 500 (red)
'83 Virago 500 (black)

"and so on and so on and scoobydoobydooby..oooooooshasha"  Sly Stone

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #89 on: December 13, 2010, 01:23:36 pm »
I've done much of those NW areas and I will be the first to agree about the beauty of it! There is just no way we can cover everything with a basic ride plan. The basic plan is to realistically cover all 48 and the lower provinces. As this progresses I see the regional guys planning their own rides but it will have to stay within the basic state to state type plan and be able to connect the dots with each of the next riders. Your's can be a leg of a bigger ride you do too. You can blog and report on all your ride, who you ride with, where you go and of course the Rally sections. We are planning a dedicated Rally only website in the future for all this. What better way to introduce all of our worldwide members and guests to the beauty you find in your area!   

Offline Nikkisixx

• Expert
« Reply #90 on: December 13, 2010, 01:51:40 pm »
Asom signed up for our neck of the woods (South East from SC to TN), I'm in too!  Markcb750 will probably want in as well.
It is a proven fact that modifying a SOHC Honda in any way will bring on the apocalypse.

Offline Jordan

• Hot Shot
  • What a Long strange trip it's been
« Reply #91 on: December 13, 2010, 02:04:57 pm »
May I suggest looking up the route the Olympic torch took? it may give some good routing ideas, Also, anyone that breaks down on the quest north of Salt Lake City to the Idaho border is welcome to call my F250 into service to get the bike to a workshop.

Offline paulages

• Old Timer
  • 1976 cb735
    • DOOMTOWN RIDERS P.R.M.C.
« Reply #92 on: December 13, 2010, 02:08:13 pm »
I can offer my shop space for any maintenance/repair work needed in the NW area.
paul
SOHC4 member #1050

1974 CB550 (735cc)
1976 CB550 (590cc) road racer
1973 CB750K3
1972 NORTON Commando Combat
1996 KLX650 R

Offline ZanVooden

• I don't need no stinkin' title
  • Hot Shot
  • This was suppose to be a quick one month job...
« Reply #93 on: December 13, 2010, 02:16:06 pm »
Jerry, Do you have, or can you draw up a quick and rough drawing or image of the route you are thinking of?
Maybe google map it or something just so we can see how your are thinking of connecting the states.

nomad

« Reply #94 on: December 13, 2010, 02:22:59 pm »
There is just no way we can cover everything with a basic ride plan.

I guess this needs to turn into an annual event then.  That way, those left out of the route or those whose bikes may not be up and running (cough-cough-me-cough) :( during this thing can do it next go around.

Offline Jordan

• Hot Shot
  • What a Long strange trip it's been
« Reply #95 on: December 13, 2010, 02:24:29 pm »
Another idea....photo of the gnome and the sohc on the steps of each capitol building, tie it in with grade school geography class sponsors for charity. It sounds like a great epic journey and a lot of fun, but I do not think my cb500 will be road worthy anytime soon.

Offline Damfino

• Sneaky, Evil, Magnificent Bastard of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Look at the grouse! NYUK,NYUK,NYUK!
« Reply #96 on: December 13, 2010, 02:41:39 pm »

Do they let you get that close to capitol building's anymore??  :D :D
Your Message Here!
You can still call me 'Schmitty'

1976 CB 750
2014 CB 1100DLX
2015 Harley Davidson Freewheeler

You know, a long time ago being crazy meant something. Nowadays everybody's crazy.
Charles Manson

You've got to watch your back in the SSDB, this is where the clever guys get bored with bike talk and make poo jokes.
I like my women a little big. Natural. Now, they shave this and wax that. It's not right. I love natural women. Big women. This trend in women has to go. Bulomia, anorexia. That's just wrong. You know what will cure that? My special sticky buns. One lick of my sticky buns and your appetite will come right back. ~ RIP Mr. Borgnine  01/24/1917 - 07/08/2012  :'(

Offline Damfino

• Sneaky, Evil, Magnificent Bastard of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Look at the grouse! NYUK,NYUK,NYUK!
« Reply #97 on: December 13, 2010, 02:45:39 pm »

Jerry, you need to add and take an official poll on what the relay mascot should be....

1. A gnome  ???
2. Godzilla  ???
3. A SOHC puppet  ???
4. ?  ???
5. ?  ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Your Message Here!
You can still call me 'Schmitty'

1976 CB 750
2014 CB 1100DLX
2015 Harley Davidson Freewheeler

You know, a long time ago being crazy meant something. Nowadays everybody's crazy.
Charles Manson

You've got to watch your back in the SSDB, this is where the clever guys get bored with bike talk and make poo jokes.
I like my women a little big. Natural. Now, they shave this and wax that. It's not right. I love natural women. Big women. This trend in women has to go. Bulomia, anorexia. That's just wrong. You know what will cure that? My special sticky buns. One lick of my sticky buns and your appetite will come right back. ~ RIP Mr. Borgnine  01/24/1917 - 07/08/2012  :'(

Offline Spanner 1

• Old Timer
  • CB 750 K0 ( always thought it was a K1!) + CB750K8
« Reply #98 on: December 13, 2010, 02:58:49 pm »
A gnome with Jerry's face ;D... omg, look at his photo Reply #42  ;) :D
If your sure it's a carb problem; it's ignition,
If your sure it's an ignition problem; it's carbs....

Offline Grnrngr

• Master
« Reply #99 on: December 13, 2010, 03:01:34 pm »
Another idea....photo of the gnome and the sohc on the steps of each capitol building, tie it in with grade school geography class sponsors for charity. It sounds like a great epic journey and a lot of fun, but I do not think my cb500 will be road worthy anytime soon.

I like the idea..and along with highlighting some of Pirsig's route, pointing out some of the Pony Express, Oregon Trail, and Route 66 history...
'72 CB750-K2 "PopCycle"
'73 CB750-K2 "Barney"
'77 CB750A   
'83 Virago 500 (red)
'83 Virago 500 (black)

"and so on and so on and scoobydoobydooby..oooooooshasha"  Sly Stone