Author Topic: New project for a first timer CB550 build - Slowly getting back to it!  (Read 133440 times)

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Ride like you're invisible
Re: New project for a first timer CB550 build
« Reply #450 on: January 15, 2018, 08:02:01 pm »
Much nicer than wrap, looks good...Larry

Offline SOHC4 Cafe Racer Fan

• Speak up, Whipper-Snapper! I'm a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC/4 Member #1235
« Reply #451 on: January 15, 2018, 08:56:58 pm »
The ceramic coat looks great.  I am not a fan of wrap.
1975 CB550K1 "Blue" Stockish Restomod (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=135005.0)
1975 CB550F1 frame/CB650 engine hybrid "The Hot Mess" (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,150220.0.html)
2008 Triumph Thruxton (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,190956.0.html)
2014 MV Agusta Brutale Dragster 800
2015 Yamaha FZ-09 (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,186861.0.html)

"There are some things nobody needs in this world, and a bright-red, hunch-back, warp-speed 900cc cafe racer is one of them — but I want one anyway, and on some days I actually believe I need one.... Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba." Hunter S. Thompson, Song of the Sausage Creature, Cycle World, March 1995.  (http://www.latexnet.org/~csmith/sausage.html and https://magazine.cycleworld.com/article/1995/3/1/song-of-the-sausage-creature)

Sold/Emeritus
1973 CB750K2 "Bionic Mongrel" (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=132734.0) - Sold
1977 CB750K7 "Nine Lives" Restomod (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=50490.0) - Sold
2005 RVT1000RR RC51-SP2 "El Diablo" - Sold
2016+ Triumph Thruxton 1200 R (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,170198.0.html) - Sold

Offline JoeCooley

• Long time lurker, but now I'm a
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #452 on: January 16, 2018, 03:22:48 am »

Put me down for a set! Those are awesome!

Got some machined parts back today along with the exhaust.

Since I had to modify the exhaust I decided to Ceramic coat it rather than wrap it. Went with a "Titanium" finish. I really like the color! I will get some better pic's once it is installed.

I also didn't like the placement of the back hanger mount so I moved it. I hadn't fully cut the rear brake arm tube off the frame because I had originally planned to use the stock rear brake setup. I did shorten it so it is flush with the outside of the frame once I switched up the rear set mounts. Since I had it there I thought it would be a great spot for a place to secure the back half of the exhaust. I am still deciding whether or not to leave it raw aluminum or make it black. The smooth side is on the outside obviously. Once I do it will go in the bike.

I am also running the C5 ignition system. The coils it come with don't mount using the stock brackets and I hadn't seen a nice way to mount. So... I designed a set and had them made. This was the most complex piece I've attempted to date and they seem to have turned out great. Can't tell you how excited I was when the holes all lined up perfectly!! I think the coils sit in the frame great!!

Size of the nuts impacts price, right Jeff?!

Are there other areas that would look nice with such a nut design?

David
Yes, Though I have not made any yet.  I will have to figure out price when I get a batch going.

Perhaps Rear Axel or Swingarm pivot nus?  Possibly even fancy Headlight bolts, but those may already be available somewhere?

Nice parts! I personally would give it a brushed Al finish on that little round thingy. Nice work on the design of the coil bracket.
Joe in San Diego - Quick Cyles
78 CB750K 836cc Highway Racer - http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,162264.0.html

Rickman CR750 Restoration (SOLD)

Offline bambuhiphop

• Hot Shot
« Reply #453 on: January 19, 2018, 08:07:28 am »
Got the exhaust installed on the bike. Still need to torque it down but everything fits!

75' CB550K -- Still in pieces but it rolls again!!!!

Offline bambuhiphop

• Hot Shot
« Reply #454 on: January 19, 2018, 09:49:11 am »
On to some wiring.

I wanted to utilize the empty space between the engine case and rear wheel since I am not running a stock air box. After some thinking I decided that would be a good spot to house some of the electronics, partially because of its proximity to the original electrics tray location. My M-Unit is on a tray that will sit under the seat but I needed a place for the reg/rec and solenoid. After some thinking I thought I would have a box made to fit in the space and would mount to the battery holder. I used the stock air box as a starting point for dimensions and came up with a design.

Here starts an adventure. I looked around the area for folks who could make it and the pickings were limited. I finally found a company that came recommended, stopped by and was told they could make it and it would be 2-3 weeks. I was cool with that and went on my way. That was in June of last year...

Moved on to another company. Talked to them over the phone and sent them my drawings. I was told I would see a quote in 3 days. That was in November...

Enter Godffery... I reached out and he was like sure. 2 1/2 weeks later it was at my door step!!

I didn't have him drill any holes and my back angle was a little off (which ended up being a good thing). I started with rough fitting it in the space to decide where to drill.

The mounting screws are stainless 6mm button caps with 24mm fender, lock washer (to fill larger hole in battery holder), a fender washer in the case, and a nylon nut to finish it off. I drilled out some 6mm holes on the front and back and test mounted the pieces inside. I then drilled out 3 holes for for wires. One on the front and two on the back. Finally i tagged it with a rubberized undercoating to protecting from the elements of the road. Once dried I installed my rubber grommets on the wire holes and inserted the mounted bolts.

With everything looking good I trimmed the leads on the reg/rec and installed my connectors. Installed the electronics in the box with appropriate hardware and fixed into the bike. Once this was done I started my wiring. Went pretty smooth and while the space is a little tight the wiring isn't overly stuffed. I need to completed the main battery lead and connect 3 wires to my Motoscope Pro and I can close this guy up.

« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 09:52:12 am by bambuhiphop »

Offline Godffery

• Godffery's Garage
  • Expert
  • Wisdom brings a realization of how little we know.
    • Godffery's Garage hosted by VinMoto.org
« Reply #455 on: January 19, 2018, 10:39:55 am »
 Looks like it turned out well, A nice tidy package.
Also dig those custom Coil Mounts!

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
« Reply #456 on: January 19, 2018, 12:48:03 pm »
A simple solution (if you are running side covers) is put the m-unit on one side, RR in back. Run stock battery box. Fits neatly under stock side panel.
'74 550 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=126401.0
'73 500 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=132935.0

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of it's victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

Offline bambuhiphop

• Hot Shot
« Reply #457 on: January 19, 2018, 02:28:39 pm »
A simple solution (if you are running side covers) is put the m-unit on one side, RR in back. Run stock battery box. Fits neatly under stock side panel.

I actually thought about going that route early on but it blocked where I wanted to put my oil filter so I opted for the box in lieu. I have the M-Unit in the Cognito tray which I like.

Offline bambuhiphop

• Hot Shot
« Reply #458 on: January 22, 2018, 03:33:31 pm »
I was able to trim the back tab on my under seat tray. I also cleaned up the wires holes, primed it, painted it, and installed rubber grommets. Looks like I will need to add one more hole for wiring but shouldn't be a big deal.

I also got my oil lines done and installed. Just need to secure them to the underside frame. I originally had the Perform-o-Flex tubing, but the stainless steel was too abrasive and not quite flexible enough. I switched over to the Pro Lite 350 hose and am much happier. Easier to make the line, better flexibility, and not abrasive at all. Went with the Swivel Seal connectors so I didn't have to line up 90 and 65 degree directions. The fitment in the frame is great too. Nice little space between the block and the electrics box. Overall happy with the result.

Offline rumpleblumpkinz

« Reply #459 on: January 23, 2018, 05:27:36 am »
Biggest goal for myself this year has been to get this engine running this year. I won't make that goal but I'm close, finally!

I got a new table for the bike to make life a little easier. Very glad I did as it has made working on the bike so much easier!

I started by getting my pistons in right. Had to order some new gaskets to put back together.

To make sure the cam guide was in right I dropped the oil pan to get a look. Realized I missed a 6mm bolt that I got put in correctly. Also ran into a big issue with my kick. Took a little bit to figure out but the kick gear was meshing all the time. Took about 3 hours but I was able to get it lined up correct so the motor rotates nice and free and kick doesn't click.

Because my exhaust really isn't removable I decided to remote mount the oil filter. Got the oil plate mounted and torques in. Just need to make the oil lines.

Upgraded the points and have installed a C5 ignition. Still need to wire but all in place.

I traced down some unused tappets and installed them in the 1978 head cover I picked up.

And finally I got cam degree'd, TDC set, and carbs back on. It actually looks like an engine again.

What exactly was the reason for dropping the oil pan while installing the cam tensioner? What were you looking for? I’m at this point of my build now, any tips?
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 05:43:34 am by rumpleblumpkinz »

Offline akabek

• Hot Shot
« Reply #460 on: January 23, 2018, 06:16:46 am »
What exactly was the reason for dropping the oil pan while installing the cam tensioner? What were you looking for? I’m at this point of my build now, any tips?

Reread the post you just quoted. He mentioned why he dropped the oil pan.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 06:18:27 am by akabek »

Offline bambuhiphop

• Hot Shot
« Reply #461 on: January 23, 2018, 07:54:29 am »

The primary reason was because the kick mesh gear was engaged incorrectly. I was located a bolt I forgot to come back around on while I was in there. I also used the opportunity to make sure the cam tensioner was in the correct position. Lastly, I dropped a washer down the case and while it was open tried to get it from that angle. Turned out to be a few things. Best advice I can give is slow down and think through all the steps.

Offline bambuhiphop

• Hot Shot
« Reply #462 on: February 25, 2018, 02:19:24 pm »
Bit of an update. Lots of pictures ahead. First off. A huge shout out to Godffery with his amazing help on whats below...

So I had connected my clutch up and it was just way to heavy to squeeze with the HD springs and extra plate in the pack. I knew I was going to make some front end modifications so I took the opportunity to research what would be involved to convert the bike to a hydraulic clutch. In my searching I came across Cafe Overkill (great bike) and reached out to Godffery. After a couple more questions he was off to the races.

First I sourced a CB500 clutch cover. Found one in pretty good shape on eBay. I got the over to him and he started his magic. I will let him fill in any details he would like but he flattened the mounting surface drilled the slave hole and mounting holes. From there he worked some serious magic to create the custom flange and modify the slave to accept the stock clutch rod. After being all welded up it got blasted.

From there it came back to me. I painted the inside with glyptal and got the exterior primed, painted, and baked. I had already picked up a CB500 gasket so I then mounted to the bike. I still need to torque everything down but it's looking killer in my opinion. This setup is actually more shallow then the stock cover. Pretty cool stuff. Next up is to get line hooked up to the Brembo RCS17 on the bars. I'll have more on that later but for now here are some pics!

Offline bambuhiphop

• Hot Shot
« Reply #463 on: February 25, 2018, 08:32:22 pm »
Also been working on the right foot controls. I decided to swap the rear drum out for a disc brake. I have some of those components but number of things are on order. I sent my rearset bracket back over to Cognito and they drilled it out and added mounting for the  rear master. I've got it mounted and connected to the rearseat. Still need to work out the exact angle though. I also pulled out a bolt sensor that I will use for the lights along with starting to work out tube routing and brake fluid reservoir mounting position.

I was worked out the exhaust bracket and got everything mounted up. I painted the part I had made in the brake arm holder and worked out a bracket to connect it to the exhaust. Took some aluminum flat bar and cut it down, bent it, drilled the holes, shaped the edges, painted, and mounted. Happy with how it turned out and how out of the way it is.

« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 11:18:32 am by bambuhiphop »

Offline Godffery

• Godffery's Garage
  • Expert
« Reply #464 on: February 26, 2018, 03:26:07 pm »
Bit of an update. Lots of pictures ahead. First off. A huge shout out to Godffery with his amazing help on whats below...

So I had connected my clutch up and it was just way to heavy to squeeze with the HD springs and extra plate in the pack. I knew I was going to make some front end modifications so I took the opportunity to research what would be involved to convert the bike to a hydraulic clutch. In my searching I came across Cafe Overkill (great bike) and reached out to Godffery. After a couple more questions he was off to the races.

First I sourced a CB500 clutch cover. Found one in pretty good shape on eBay. I got the over to him and he started his magic. I will let him fill in any details he would like but he flattened the mounting surface drilled the slave hole and mounting holes. From there he worked some serious magic to create the custom flange and modify the slave to accept the stock clutch rod. After being all welded up it got blasted.

From there it came back to me. I painted the inside with glyptal and got the exterior primed, painted, and baked. I had already picked up a CB500 gasket so I then mounted to the bike. I still need to torque everything down but it's looking killer in my opinion. This setup is actually more shallow then the stock cover. Pretty cool stuff. Next up is to get line hooked up to the Brembo RCS17 on the bars. I'll have more on that later but for now here are some pics!

Thanks for the good word Man. Paint turned out real nice!
BTW; I see you replaces the 3 stainless allen mounting bolts I supplied, was there an issue with them?

Offline bambuhiphop

• Hot Shot
Re: New project for a first timer CB550 build - Hydraulic Clutch
« Reply #465 on: February 26, 2018, 03:31:02 pm »
Thanks for the good word Man. Paint turned out real nice!
BTW; I see you replaces the 3 stainless allen mounting bolts I supplied, was there an issue with them?

Anytime! They are all good. They do have the ridges on the side of the head and I have all smooth ones everywhere else. Mainly just playing with these to see which look I like better. Purely cosmetic!

Offline Godffery

• Godffery's Garage
  • Expert
« Reply #466 on: February 26, 2018, 06:47:54 pm »
I see you replaced the 3 stainless allen mounting bolts I supplied, was there an issue with them?

They have the ridges on the side of the head and I have all smooth ones everywhere else. Mainly just playing with these to see which look I like better. Purely cosmetic!
Oh, I see.  Well being stainless steel, you could put them in a drill & sand off the ridges pretty easily.

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #467 on: February 26, 2018, 09:03:19 pm »
Nice work on this bike.
 What color or finish is that on your cases and covers?
Your oil adaptor up front will look much nicer if youbradius the edge or bevel it like the point cover.
 Button heads on the hydroclutch , methinks.
Maker of the WELDLESS 750 Frame Kit
dodogas99@gmail.com
Kelowna B.C.       Canada

My next bike will be a ..ANFOB.....

It's All part of the ADVENTURE...

73 836cc.. Green, had it for 3 decades!!
Lost quite a few CB 750's along the way

Offline bambuhiphop

• Hot Shot
« Reply #468 on: February 26, 2018, 10:38:36 pm »
Nice work on this bike.
Your oil adaptor up front will look much nicer if youbradius the edge or bevel it like the point cover.

Thanks! Its been a long haul. I'm pretty sure the button heads will go back on. I hadn't thought about beveling the oil adapter. I'll give it some thought. Might be a after its running thing though, haha!

Offline zeffcat

« Reply #469 on: February 27, 2018, 06:09:18 am »

Hello Internets!

I haven't posted in quite some time. Had quite the busy year. As anyone who can read above, you know that I hit a snag with my motor. One really should put things together correctly, haha! I've been working on the bike off and on. I also decided to make a couple changes but I thought I would make some updates before the year is done.

I picked up a fly screen and changed up the headlight bucket. The one I got didn't fit my light how I wanted. Also got some different mounts for Motodemic. Overall, I am happier with the look.

Mind me asking where you got that fly screen at and maybe another shot of the mounting? I like the look!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

CB750 K8

Offline bambuhiphop

• Hot Shot
« Reply #470 on: February 27, 2018, 08:48:34 am »
Mind me asking where you got that fly screen at and maybe another shot of the mounting? I like the look!

It is a Dart flyscreen.

https://www.dartflyscreens.com/

I'd be happy to show more pics, but it is currently off the bike. The mount isn't perfect but works pretty good. I may end up making a custom one. Once I have it back on though I will snap some additional pictures.

Offline bambuhiphop

• Hot Shot
« Reply #471 on: February 27, 2018, 10:34:45 am »
Nice work on this bike.

Forgot to mention the color. It is a VHT paint. Cast Iron is the color.

Offline bambuhiphop

• Hot Shot
« Reply #472 on: March 14, 2018, 11:17:56 pm »
Got some parts back so I was able to get the new forks mounted. I decided to go modern on the front end. I started my search looking for a cool way to mount the front speed sensor. (little odd place to start I know)

I came across the R NineT. It had the speed sensor mount I wanted, great front fender, nice thick forks, and a 40 spoke rim. After some additional research I found that a common upgrade for those bikes is to put forks from a S1000rr. This gives you preload and damping adjustment. After some searching I found a used set on eBay off a 2014 bike.

I reached out to Cognito and had a custom triple and stem made. Going this direction I will be able to run a stock R9T front hub laced up to a Sun rim. Another change I had to make was get different bars. Found a set of Woodcraft clip-ons along with new brembo controls, and m-switch minis.

Still a lot to do but on the way.

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
Re: New project for a first timer CB550 build - BMW Forks Ahoy
« Reply #473 on: March 15, 2018, 04:22:05 am »
Glad you didn't pilfer them from the R in the background  :o
'74 550 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=126401.0
'73 500 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=132935.0

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of it's victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

Offline SOHC4 Cafe Racer Fan

• Speak up, Whipper-Snapper! I'm a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC/4 Member #1235
Re: New project for a first timer CB550 build - BMW Forks Ahoy
« Reply #474 on: March 15, 2018, 11:41:02 am »
Indeed, the Sachs S1000RR front forks are a common upgrade for the RNineT -- for those who don't want to spring for the Ohlins replacements!
1975 CB550K1 "Blue" Stockish Restomod (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=135005.0)
1975 CB550F1 frame/CB650 engine hybrid "The Hot Mess" (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,150220.0.html)
2008 Triumph Thruxton (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,190956.0.html)
2014 MV Agusta Brutale Dragster 800
2015 Yamaha FZ-09 (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,186861.0.html)

"There are some things nobody needs in this world, and a bright-red, hunch-back, warp-speed 900cc cafe racer is one of them — but I want one anyway, and on some days I actually believe I need one.... Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba." Hunter S. Thompson, Song of the Sausage Creature, Cycle World, March 1995.  (http://www.latexnet.org/~csmith/sausage.html and https://magazine.cycleworld.com/article/1995/3/1/song-of-the-sausage-creature)

Sold/Emeritus
1973 CB750K2 "Bionic Mongrel" (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=132734.0) - Sold
1977 CB750K7 "Nine Lives" Restomod (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=50490.0) - Sold
2005 RVT1000RR RC51-SP2 "El Diablo" - Sold
2016+ Triumph Thruxton 1200 R (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,170198.0.html) - Sold