Author Topic: My CB750 Book, by Hondaman: a 10% discount thru 3/29/24! :)  (Read 153994 times)

Offline HondaMan

• Someone took this pic of me before I became a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ...not my choice, I was nicknamed...
    • Getting 'em Back on the Road
My CB750 Book, by Hondaman: a 10% discount thru 3/29/24! :)
« on: February 06, 2010, 01:51:51 pm »
Lulu is offering a 10% discount, use the code BCORPBOOKS10 at checkout thru 3/29/24.

Here's the link via Lulu Publishing where you can get it with this discount:
https://www.lulu.com/search?adult_audience_rating=00&q=my+CB750+book

or you can try your own search for "Lulu Publishing Coupon" and maybe find even better deals! :)

Go to www.lulu.com and search for "My CB750 Book" to find it, then use the checkout code there. :D
======================================================
(NOTE: at least $1 from each copy returns to SOHC4.net for our site support.)
 :D :D  :D
Several of you have written, asking "What's in the book?". So, here's a thumbnail sketch:

-Theory sections: how the carbs, alternator, electrical, and suspension stuff works. Also, there's detail on the oiling principles used in this engine and the drive chain itself, along with notes on Honda's unique rear drive sprockets for these bikes, instead of the generic type we see so much today. (Contact me for details on how to help modify some of today's sprockets, if need be.)
-Engine removal, teardown, and reassembly (3 separate chapters).
-Engine Inspection (a chapter by itself, noting wear points and what to do about them).
-Suspension: how the 750 chassis works, alignments, fixes, steering head bearing replacement, swingarm system information, shocks and their effects, forks and their different types (and how they work and how to tune them). General chassis tuning discussion, too.
-Front and rear wheels: bearings, brakes, and improvements, and diagnosis of troubles.
-Carburetors: detailed theory on how they work. How to clean them properly, wear points to watch.
-Electrical: all of the circuits of the bikes in all versions of the wiring harnesses, broken down into individual functions like Headlight circuit, Starter circuit, etc. How the charging system works (alternator, regulator, and rectifier). Electrical diagnosis and how to find the things that cause trouble (and fix them for good!). How to rebuild the starter solenoid and the handlebar switches. How to add relay(s) to the system to extend the handlebar switch life and generally improve the original electrical performance. How to change the fuseholder(s) to something more modern and more reliable, and where to get all these parts.
-Performance improvements: Two chapters-the first is stuff you can do yourself to recover up to 10 of the "lost" HP of the K3 and later engines. The second chapter is about going beyond that, while still preserving a long-lived engine.
Appendixes: General diagnosis, Maintenance schedule, Tuneup, Valve Repairs (minor valve job), Transistorized Ignition installation (mine), cosmetic changes over the years, and Tuneup.

It's written the way I answer folk's questions here at SOHC4.net, and arranged more like a "class" on the bikes instead of just a reference manual. You'll be able to use the Index to find things, and if you're rebuilding an engine it will take you step-by-step through the Inspection-build process.

I make a $1 donation to the site for each sold (for all of us and our moderators and web-spinners).

Directly from the publisher:
You can get one directly from the publisher (cheapest way) instead, here's the "direct buy" link from https://www.lulu.com/search?adult_audience_rating=00&fSearch=&fSearchData%5Bauthor%5D=&fSearchData%5Btitle%5D=My+CB750+book&fSearchFamily=2&fSearchSource=a&fSubmitSearch=Go&page=1&pageSize=10&q=my+cb750+book&showingSubPanels=advancedSearchPanel_title_creator

They are selling it at $99.10 hardcover and $91.50 paperback (8.5" x 11" size). The A4 paperback size is discontinued because during Lulu's server upgrade in 2018 the corrected manuscript for it got lost somehow, and the old one with many errors was reintroduced.
You can also search there, by title, for "My CB750 book" and it will bring it up in both paperback and hardcover versions. They print it on demand and ship it. Their forte' is on-demand printing of small quantities: when I've ordered in bulk it takes a long time to get them.

A million thanks to all of you for being part of this book! Without you all it would not have happened. :D
« Last Edit: March 25, 2024, 11:54:55 am by HondaMan »
See SOHC4shop@gmail.com for info about the gadgets I make for these bikes.

The demons are repulsed when a man does good. Use that.
Blood is thicker than water, but motor oil is thicker yet...so, don't mess with my SOHC4, or I might have to hurt you.
Hondaman's creed: "Bikers are family. Treat them accordingly."

Link to Hondaman Ignition: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=67543.0

Link to My CB750 Book: https://www.lulu.com/search?adult_audience_rating=00&page=1&pageSize=10&q=my+cb750+book

Link to website: www.SOHC4shop.com

Offline mystic_1

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1970 CB750K
Re: My CB750 book, by Hondaman
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2010, 02:05:52 pm »
Congrats again Mark!  Consider me in line for a signed copy.  I'll message you directly with the relevant info after the 18th.

cheers
mystic_1
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."
- John Augustus Shedd

My build thread:  http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=68952.0

Offline HedNut

• Underwater Basket Weaving
  • Expert
  • CB750...A Two-wheeled hellcat from Planet Kickass
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2010, 02:33:16 pm »
That is AWESOME! I'm saving my pennies in a jar as we speak!...can't wait to get one.  I'll definately go for the signed copy! You and your efforts ROCK!
Cheers!
Brendan

Offline myhondas

• Not really such a
  • Expert
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2010, 02:33:56 pm »
Mark,

I am in for one signed copy. Will paypal you next week once shipping is settled.

thanks

ray
1974 CB 750 K4 SHOWROOM
1974 CB 750 K4 IN PART-OUT PROCESS (my original bike)
1965 C100 CUB 50 (PIT BIKE)
1996 VF 750 CD daily rider
1983 VF 1100 V65 Magna in restoration process
SOHC# 5105 11228

Offline RRRToolSolutions

• Expert
  • I love old Japanese bikes!
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2010, 05:53:18 pm »
Mark, will there be a hardback copy coming? I ask because I would prefer one, but if not, I'm definitely not going to miss getting some copies of the paperbacks.

I look forward to a good read ......Best Regards, Gordon
Kaws, Hondas, Yamahas, and Suzukis - especially Kaws

Offline HondaMan

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2010, 07:53:18 pm »
Mark, will there be a hardback copy coming? I ask because I would prefer one, but if not, I'm definitely not going to miss getting some copies of the paperbacks.

I look forward to a good read ......Best Regards, Gordon

Yep, I got the scripting in today for the hardcover, too, and ordered a few of those. I'll contact you again when I get them: it says those take 2 weeks to print, which would be along about the last week of February (I think).

The paperback version should be here about the 15th or so.

Blood is thicker than water, but motor oil is thicker yet...so, don't mess with my SOHC4, or I might have to hurt you.

Link to My CB750 Book: https://www.lulu.com/search?adult_audience_rating=00&page=1&pageSize=10&q=my+cb750+book

Offline Jeff.Saunders

• Enthusiast
  • Obsessed by Old Motorcycles
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2010, 08:08:40 am »
Well done Mark...

I'll take a couple of the hardcover copies - one for me, one to put in the reference info at the shop.  Let me know when you have them.

Offline SteveD CB500F

• Global Moderator
  • Old Timer
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • TVAM
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2010, 01:02:48 am »
For all those in the UK and Europe, we are working on a local printing. A4 size and no transatlantic shipping!

I'll post on www.sohc.co.uk and collect requirements there.

Steve
SOHC4 Member #2393
2015 Tiger 800 XRT
1971 CB500K0 (US Model)

Offline spitfire

• Hot Shot
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2010, 03:11:27 am »
Sounds good Steve.

Cheers

Den
Wirral UK
1976 CB750F1 bought new in 76
1977 CB750F2: Restoration started
1964 BSA A65R: Waiting restoration
My gallery is here: http://www.sohc4.us/gallery/v/members/personal/spitfire/?g2_navId=x5a30f7b6

Offline Freaky1

• Hot Shot
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2010, 09:24:54 am »
So will there be a book signing for those of us here in the Denver area? Or any way I could avoid having to pay to ship it across town and more importantly, shake the hand of the one and only Hondaman?
That which does not kill you leaves cool scabs which turn into awesome scars.

'77 CB750F Come on...were almost there!

Offline HondaMan

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2010, 06:43:23 pm »
So will there be a book signing for those of us here in the Denver area? Or any way I could avoid having to pay to ship it across town and more importantly, shake the hand of the one and only Hondaman?

Shake my hand!?
You'll risk catching terminal CB750K disease.  ::)
 ;D

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Today's Lesson: One good turn deserves another.
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2010, 07:25:31 pm »
Funds are in my Paypal acct waiting for 2/18/10 and your permission to order.

I will want a signed copy, you bet.

THanks Mark!
Ron
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

Offline Freaky1

• Hot Shot
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2010, 05:51:54 am »

Shake my hand!?
You'll risk catching terminal CB750K disease.  ::)
 ;D

I have always lived dangerously, too old to quit now! ;D

Offline michrobi

• Goldenrod blew a 5" hole out the front with a
  • Hot Shot
  • On a neverending quest for more garage space
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2010, 05:40:51 pm »
Put me down for a signed hardcover Mark. I'll PM in 12 or so days the details and to arrange paypal.  ;D
-Mike

'78 CB750F All stock except for the powerplant. Jived it off my Dad in the spring of '94. He had it since 1980 and it's the first bike I ever rode on.

Current project: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=67756

How's them SOHC4 patches coming?

Offline fmctm1sw

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2010, 05:54:20 pm »
Sometime in the near future, I'll offer a DVD from here, too, of all the pictures from the book (and a lot more that didn't make the cut), because some of you have asked for that. That way, if you're pondering a repair of some sort, you can just browse the pictures without all that annoying text in between them...  ;D

Very nice to see hard work come to fruition.  Just so I have this straight, this is a tech  manual/repair book correct?  Not just photos of 750s right?
Quote from: 754
Dude is that a tire ? or an O-ring..??

Quote from: inkscars
This is not a pod thread
This is not a #$%* on my vacuum gauges thread
This is a help or GTFO thread.

1973 CB350F
1973 CB350G
1975 CB550K
1983 GL650I
1973 CB750K3 (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=92888.0)
1984 Kawasaki KLT-250 (AKA 3 wheeler of death)
1994 Honda TRX300
1999 Honda TRX250

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Today's Lesson: One good turn deserves another.
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2010, 06:09:35 pm »
Sometime in the near future, I'll offer a DVD from here, too, of all the pictures from the book (and a lot more that didn't make the cut), because some of you have asked for that. That way, if you're pondering a repair of some sort, you can just browse the pictures without all that annoying text in between them...  ;D

Very nice to see hard work come to fruition.  Just so I have this straight, this is a tech  manual/repair book correct?  Not just photos of 750s right?
If I may, Mark would be incapable of just photos of 750s, unless they were in a thousand pieces, as I'm sure these photos will be.

But I should let Mark answer on his own. I'm hoping there will be a few pictures of 750s that are in whole condition.   ;D   ;D
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

Offline Noel

• Hot Shot
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2010, 09:28:49 pm »
So when does the CB500 version come out?
'73 CB500

Offline HondaMan

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2010, 08:40:13 am »

If I may, Mark would be incapable of just photos of 750s, unless they were in a thousand pieces, as I'm sure these photos will be.

But I should let Mark answer on his own. I'm hoping there will be a few pictures of 750s that are in whole condition.   ;D   ;D

OK, Ron: that answer made me laugh enough to spit tea all over my wife's keyboard!  :D :D
And, it's REAL close to the truth in the book: I think there are only 3 or 4 pictures of whole bikes in it, including the cover! There's a couple of the first Hondaman Special (the one that had its almost-finished debut on TV locally!) and a shot of my bike when it still had OEM paint (my old avatar). The "story" in the book revolves around rebuilding that bike, in general. I had to use other bikes for some shots, because parts of that particular bike were OK when I rebuilt it, so I didn't disassemble 100% of that engine in the end.

The general overview of this book: it's intended to cover 2 arenas:
1. If you have a "generic" shop manual, like the Honda or Chilton or Haynes manual, this one will fill in the missing info, give some tips (and pictures) on what to look for that those books don't, and (hopefully) will begin to teach you about the evolution and potential of this bike. While it concentrates on the K1-K6, is has some mention of the K0 and the later models, too.
2. It has a far more advanced set of "Theory" sections than any manuals I have seen outside of college. It explains in painful detail how the carbs work (because there is a huge amount of misconception about them in this forum), how the electrical system works (including how alternators like these actually function), and how suspension geometry works and can be tailored to your desired style on this bike.

It's not a "beginner's manual" unless accompanied by one of the Honda/Chilton/Haynes books, because I did not spend a lot of time on things like "remove the cover screws to remove the alternator cover", like those books do: I presumed you already know that it won't come off until the screws are out...and, I did not cover 2 items in particular: relacing wheels must be done properly or you can risk your life, so it's not there, and recutting valve seats can ruin a head if you don't know how, even with the right tools. Those 2 items I left out on purpose. In the future, there may be a tutorial posted here at SOHC4 to cover the wheels: you can buy whole books out there on cutting valve seats.

But, everything else on how to rebuild, repair, and improve upon the CB750 is there, including 2 Performance chapters.  ;)
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 08:34:38 pm by HondaMan »

Offline Freaky1

• Hot Shot
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2010, 09:15:42 am »
Aaaawwww CRAP...YOU MUST BE KIDDING????...I HAVE TO TAKE THE SCREWS OUT!!!  ;D ;D ;D

Offline HondaMan

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2010, 09:32:58 am »
Aaaawwww CRAP...YOU MUST BE KIDDING????...I HAVE TO TAKE THE SCREWS OUT!!!  ;D ;D ;D
(It makes the reassembly cheaper... :D )

Offline myhondas

• Not really such a
  • Expert
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2010, 12:01:29 pm »
So Mark,

You still think you'll be getting your set for signing around the 18th?

I look forward to hearing from you when you get them in.....

I will send you a PM with info for the personalization and will paypal $ when
you have an idea of shipping costs.

ray
1974 CB 750 K4 SHOWROOM
1974 CB 750 K4 IN PART-OUT PROCESS (my original bike)
1965 C100 CUB 50 (PIT BIKE)
1996 VF 750 CD daily rider
1983 VF 1100 V65 Magna in restoration process
SOHC# 5105 11228

Offline HondaMan

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2010, 05:32:49 pm »
So Mark,

You still think you'll be getting your set for signing around the 18th?

I look forward to hearing from you when you get them in.....

I will send you a PM with info for the personalization and will paypal $ when
you have an idea of shipping costs.

ray

I just looked up the status: it appears they are printing them now. So, I think the 18th is still a good date. It's going to be a 100 lb. box!

Offline wannabridin

• Patience made me a
  • Master
  • -Garrett
    • 1976 CB750K, under construction:
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2010, 03:18:08 pm »
awesome!!!  i hope i reserved mine soon enough to still get the signed copy!!!
1976 CB750K, currently under construction:
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=64468.0

-And if you don't do it this year, you'll be one year older when you do...

Offline HondaMan

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2010, 05:37:44 pm »
awesome!!!  i hope i reserved mine soon enough to still get the signed copy!!!

If I run out, I can get another batch printed (probably will, if everyone can afford to buy one).

Offline mrbreeze

• Not your average
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Shut up when you're talkin' to me!!
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2010, 11:36:49 am »

Shake my hand!?
You'll risk catching terminal CB750K disease.  ::)I've had that disease for years !!!!! :D....looking forward to the book.
 ;D
MEMBER # 257
Fool me once..shame on you. Fool me twice..I'm kickin' your a$$......