Author Topic: Dealing with stretched carb bowl gaskets.  (Read 1859 times)

Offline Duanob

• Bold Timer
  • Old Timer
  • Gotcha!
Dealing with stretched carb bowl gaskets.
« on: July 16, 2011, 04:44:58 PM »
Found a decent trick that worked for me. My bowl gasket o-rings were getting stretched beyond use. All the glue in the world won't hold them in place anymore.

Install the o-ring gasket in the groove all the way around the bowl. When you get to the point of the extra that won't lay smooth, cut it. LAy one end in the groove, lay the other over it and cut to fit. Do this in a straight stretch of the bowl. Then take some Permatex Type 2 gasket sealer (it's pliable and fuel resistant) and dab it in the cut area and install it on the carb body. Let it set for an hour before letting gas into the bowl. I haven't seen on of these fixes leak yet. Eventually you will buy new ones but this fix will get you on the road while waiting for the new one to come in and the fix will last you until you absolutely nessecarily need to open the bowls up again.

The only problem left on my bike is the nut that holds onto the handle bars! ;)

1976 CB550K2 Resurrected
1976 CB550F2 Barn Find
1979 CX500 Delux "HONDA-GUZZI"

__o
_- \_<,
(*) /' (*)

Offline lucky

• Really Old Timer ...
Re: Dealing with stretched carb bowl gaskets.
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2012, 09:23:07 AM »
Found a decent trick that worked for me. My bowl gasket o-rings were getting stretched beyond use. All the glue in the world won't hold them in place anymore.

Install the o-ring gasket in the groove all the way around the bowl. When you get to the point of the extra that won't lay smooth, cut it. LAy one end in the groove, lay the other over it and cut to fit. Do this in a straight stretch of the bowl. Then take some Permatex Type 2 gasket sealer (it's pliable and fuel resistant) and dab it in the cut area and install it on the carb body. Let it set for an hour before letting gas into the bowl. I haven't seen on of these fixes leak yet. Eventually you will buy new ones but this fix will get you on the road while waiting for the new one to come in and the fix will last you until you absolutely nessecarily need to open the bowls up again.

DO NOT DO THIS people!!!
It can lead to a fire. Very bad advice!!

Do not remove the float bowl O ring in the first place unless you know it is leaking.
If you spray the O ring with carb spray (trichlorethyelene), the O ring will swell up and never fit right again.
Float bowl O rings almost NEVER go bad.
Just smear a little Vasoline on the float bowl with O ring when you put the float bowl on.

You do not need to replace the float bowl O ring just because you took the float bowl off.

;
Honda