Author Topic: What did you do to your bike today ?  (Read 3164618 times)

Offline Tetter

• CB500F Café - CB750F K6
Re: What did you do to your bike today ?
« Reply #19625 on: April 17, 2015, 09:08:37 am »
Rode 60 miles and checked the sparkplugs

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 06:10:37 am by Tetter »

Offline InAquaVeritas

• Enthusiast
« Reply #19626 on: April 17, 2015, 03:11:39 pm »
Picked up my seat today and finally got to see it with the new paint! Super stoked!
Made from an old waterproof Swiss army bag. Short straps for smalls and longer ones for helmet/bag.

I made the seat so it can be removed, will post pics when I put the finishing touches on it. Can't wait to finish this project!

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met behulp van Tapatalk
Surf bum trying his hand at wrenching!

Past "bikes" ;)
1981 Honda MT 50cc - Torn apart, put back together and got run down on..
1994 Derby Senda R 50cc - Fell apart
2001 Derby Senda R 50cc - 13/45 changed to 15/70, hit 90 kph in under 150 meters! Undriveable fun!
1987 Suzuki GN250 - Sold
Current bikes
1977 Honda CB750 F1 - F2 engine, '05 ZX6R front end and wheels, '04 ZX6R shortened swing arm converted to twin shock. http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=133411.0
1987 Honda XR600 Supermoto conversion. CR250 forks and triple. SM wheels, discs front and back. Rebuilt engine. Loudest exhaust in the world: Leovinci X3

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #19627 on: April 17, 2015, 03:45:17 pm »
That looks cool but isnt the helmet for your head?!
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline InAquaVeritas

• Enthusiast
What did you do to your bike today ?
« Reply #19628 on: April 17, 2015, 04:03:08 pm »
That looks cool but isnt the helmet for your head?!
Thanks!

Hahaha! Does it? It all makes so much sense now! ;)

It's for a passenger, it's going to have pegs. This way I can bring a helmet easily and it also holds a bag.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met behulp van Tapatalk
Surf bum trying his hand at wrenching!

Past "bikes" ;)
1981 Honda MT 50cc - Torn apart, put back together and got run down on..
1994 Derby Senda R 50cc - Fell apart
2001 Derby Senda R 50cc - 13/45 changed to 15/70, hit 90 kph in under 150 meters! Undriveable fun!
1987 Suzuki GN250 - Sold
Current bikes
1977 Honda CB750 F1 - F2 engine, '05 ZX6R front end and wheels, '04 ZX6R shortened swing arm converted to twin shock. http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=133411.0
1987 Honda XR600 Supermoto conversion. CR250 forks and triple. SM wheels, discs front and back. Rebuilt engine. Loudest exhaust in the world: Leovinci X3

Offline Greggo

• Somebody's
  • Old Timer
  • Helmets Save Lives. Period.
« Reply #19629 on: April 17, 2015, 04:30:11 pm »
Put a clutch in the sandcast.

Offline Jerry E.

• Enthusiast
« Reply #19630 on: April 17, 2015, 08:14:51 pm »
Finally started my K3 today, first time on new rebuild. It's a ported 836 motor, with a Carpy"Yoshi" exhaust, and a mild megacycle cam. Sounds really good, and seems to run fine. nervous starting it for first time, as this is my 1st motorcycle engine rebuild, but all appears to be working properly. Couldn't have done it without this forum.

good feeling isn't it?  Must have put a big smile on your face
definately put a smile on my face.
"Why jump from perfectly good airplanes? Because the door opens."

Offline evanphi

• Apparently I'm an
  • Old Timer
  • Rhonda the Basket Case
« Reply #19631 on: April 18, 2015, 02:54:19 am »
Very cool looking seat!
--Evan

1975 CB750K "Rhonda"
Delkevic Stainless 4-1 Header, Cone Engineering 18" Quiet Core Reverse Cone, K&N Filter in Drilled Airbox
K5 Crankcase/Frame, K4 Head and Cylinders, K1 Carbs (42;120;1 Turn)

She's a mix-matched (former) basket case, but she's mine.

CB750 Shop Manual (all years), searchable text PDF
Calculating the correct input circumference for digital speedometers connected to the original speedometer drive

Offline evanphi

• Apparently I'm an
  • Old Timer
  • Rhonda the Basket Case
« Reply #19632 on: April 18, 2015, 03:18:32 am »
From my build thread...

Lube throttle and clutch cables (using some gun oil)
I use a concoction called Ed's Red for my rifles. You can make a compatible oil with 1 part ATF and 1 part kerosene. This is what I used to lube my cables. I also lubed the carb linkage forks with dielectic grease. The snap-back is much better now!

Put the holey air screws back in the carbs, and set to 1 turn
We'll see if this makes a big difference...

Adjust chain slack
1" in the center. Lined up the marks on both sides of the adjusters. Easy peasy!

Adjust tire pressure to 38 front, 40 rear.
Pretty self-explanatory.

Add "silent memo" drain holes (1/8" holes at lower front engine mounts)
Ta-da! No water came out! I'll add some paint to those holes today.

Also took off the points plate and checked the runout on the advancer shaft. It was 0.030" off center (hence the 2/3 timing jitter), but I got it down to about 0.002-0.003.

What year is my advancer from? I lubed all the important spots on here, too.

Didn't get for a ride because it was after dark, and foggy. But after adding 9L of fresh gas, she started right up, just like last year when in perfect tune! I'll take Rhonda for a ride to warm up today after filing points and setting gap, then do the timing and a vac sync on a warm engine. She's ready to rock!
--Evan

1975 CB750K "Rhonda"
Delkevic Stainless 4-1 Header, Cone Engineering 18" Quiet Core Reverse Cone, K&N Filter in Drilled Airbox

Calculating the correct input circumference for digital speedometers connected to the original speedometer drive

Offline DaveBarbier

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #19633 on: April 18, 2015, 04:49:14 am »

Also took off the points plate and checked the runout on the advancer shaft. It was 0.030" off center (hence the 2/3 timing jitter), but I got it down to about 0.002-0.003.

Looks like the dial gauge is on the threads, no? Might not be the best place to check for runout.

---
1978 Honda CB550K

Offline evanphi

• Apparently I'm an
  • Old Timer
  • Rhonda the Basket Case
« Reply #19634 on: April 18, 2015, 05:06:49 am »

Looks like the dial gauge is on the threads, no? Might not be the best place to check for runout.

---
1978 Honda CB550K

I had it on the smooth part before. I just did the quick video to demonstrate. :)
--Evan

1975 CB750K "Rhonda"

Offline DaveBarbier

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #19635 on: April 18, 2015, 05:08:16 am »

---
1978 Honda CB550K

I had it on the smooth part before. I just did the quick video to demonstrate. :)

Ah, nice. Just checking! Glad you did because it reminded me that this should be on my list of things to do.

---
1978 Honda CB550K

Offline evanphi

• Apparently I'm an
  • Old Timer
  • Rhonda the Basket Case
« Reply #19636 on: April 18, 2015, 01:01:56 pm »

---
1978 Honda CB550K

Ah, nice. Just checking! Glad you did because it reminded me that this should be on my list of things to do.

---
1978 Honda CB550K

I'm glad I did it. NO MORE JITTER!!! wooooo
--Evan

1975 CB750K "Rhonda"

Offline evanphi

• Apparently I'm an
  • Old Timer
  • Rhonda the Basket Case
« Reply #19637 on: April 18, 2015, 03:36:23 pm »

Here she is. Rhonda's glamour shot for 2015!

Filed and set gap on points. Took her for a spin. Got home, set idle to 1000RPM. Did dynamic timing of points, then a vacuum sync. Ready to show off now.

Much better power response with the needle raised a notch. Also easier starting, it seems. Looking forward to riding this year.
--Evan

1975 CB750K "Rhonda"

Offline edwardmorris

• Youngish
  • Old Timer
  • Do not cause harm, nor respond to harm with harm.
« Reply #19638 on: April 18, 2015, 04:09:15 pm »

Filed and set gap on points. Took her for a spin. Got home, set idle to 1000RPM. Did dynamic timing of points, then a vacuum sync. Ready to show off now.

Much better power response with the needle raised a notch. Also easier starting, it seems. Looking forward to riding this year.
Sweet looking blue there! Do you have a build thread I'm missing? I meant to ask you about the top end, did the towers work out?

Offline evanphi

• Apparently I'm an
  • Old Timer
  • Rhonda the Basket Case
« Reply #19639 on: April 18, 2015, 06:40:03 pm »

Sweet looking blue there! Do you have a build thread I'm missing? I meant to ask you about the top end, did the towers work out?

They worked perfectly! The bearing caps were mis-stamped, though! The factory stamps were correct, but the center-punched indications were off. All worked out in the end, though.

Build thread is in my sig. :)
--Evan

1975 CB750K "Rhonda"

Offline Oz350Four

• Keep yer stick on the ice...!!!
« Reply #19640 on: April 18, 2015, 10:12:33 pm »
Continuing project "Berries n Cream" (CB350F Four)...

-  took foot brake off (getting ready to remove engine)
-  drained front brake fluids
-  removed front brake master cylinder, calliper, associated plumbing and hardware from forks
-  took handlebars off

Then I go to start stripping down the brake calliper and what do I get..??!!! a very stuck pad... >:(
Its all off the bike but easy enough to connect together.  Since I don't have any brake fluid at my disposal is it Ok to use water instead to use the hydraulics to push it out...???  I wont be putting back on the bike for some time so it will have dried out before then..

Cheers... 
"Me speed officer...?? never..!!!"

1972 CB350F Four - Project Ol' Red (current)
2007 Harley Davidson Softail Deuce - Sold to start this project.

Offline ekpent

• Really Old Timer ...
  • To many bikes-but lookin' for more
« Reply #19641 on: April 19, 2015, 08:33:40 am »
  Now that my everyday rider 750 and Z1 are roadworthy and good to go I pulled a crusty 74 out that I have running well but wanted to make a couple of improvements. Probably sell it after I toss a some more miles on it. Bought a MAC 4-2 off a member and it cleaned up well so swapped out some very ugly rusty pipes. I like the look of stock 750 head pipes. Also I have spooned on many tires by hand but I finally met my match on this front. It had a very old ML-90-19 Goodyear Eagle GT. OMG these tires have a huge bead with some very serious steel wire inside along with a thick flap that covers the outside of the rim for protection that is almost impossible to get a lever in. Hack saw rubber and dremel to cut the wire and it was finally off. New tire and tube seems to be holding air. Do some detailing than the Suzuki GS 1000 is next as I want to make that the wife hauler. Its running but want to give it a going over.

Offline Tintop

• Old Timer
« Reply #19642 on: April 19, 2015, 08:58:59 am »
Got the bike prep'd for the 1st ride, along with the new pipe. ;D  Now if the temperature would only go up. >:(

1977 CB550/4 Cafe - Speed Warrior / BOTM 03/11
1980 CB750F (project)
Whittaker GBF Vintage Racing Sidecar (XS750 power) - ITG / 151's / CMR Racing Products (SOLD)
1976 CB400 SS - stock / BOTM 04/11 (SOLD)
1973 CB750 K - basket case (SOLD)
77 CB550 Cafe build
550/750 Filter Thread
Sidecar Rebuild Thread

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #19643 on: April 19, 2015, 09:08:29 am »

Probably sell it after I toss a some more miles on it.

Eric sell?   You really think we believe that?!
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline ekpent

• Really Old Timer ...
  • To many bikes-but lookin' for more
« Reply #19644 on: April 19, 2015, 09:27:31 am »

Probably sell it after I toss a some more miles on it.

Eric sell?   You really think we believe that?!
  I am serious Steve, got 3 I am prepping right now and will probably evaluate  some more down the line this season. Will keep the good stuff though. Getting to that downsizing thing a little, hate for the wife or kid to have to deal with too much and might want to have something a little newer sometime. Might be a good time before we have another major recession or something.

Offline edwardmorris

• Youngish
  • Old Timer
  • Do not cause harm, nor respond to harm with harm.
« Reply #19645 on: April 19, 2015, 09:44:00 am »

They worked perfectly! The bearing caps were mis-stamped, though! The factory stamps were correct, but the center-punched indications were off. All worked out in the end, though.

Build thread is in my sig. :)
Duh!! about the build thread  ;D

And yea, those crappy punch marks are a PO thing, there's a matching set of those on the head they came off of too :o

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
« Reply #19646 on: April 20, 2015, 05:14:17 am »
Did a wee bit of wiring to help out a buddy on his project. Installed and wired up a MotoGadget m-unit, m-button, m-switches, mini speedo, and electronic ignition..

'74 550 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=126401.0
'73 500 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=132935.0

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of it's victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #19647 on: April 20, 2015, 06:16:31 am »
Nice work Cal... ;)
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.

Offline evanphi

• Apparently I'm an
  • Old Timer
  • Rhonda the Basket Case
« Reply #19648 on: April 20, 2015, 06:16:44 am »
That's some clean looking wire sleeve. I like using that stuff on custom computers for covering wiring. I had some glow in the dark stuff on one computer.
--Evan

1975 CB750K "Rhonda"

Offline robl8

« Reply #19649 on: April 20, 2015, 06:25:45 am »
Took first ride around the neighborhood  :)  Still needs a full tune and plug change, but it sounded pretty great. The bike hadn't been on the road in 17 years, but had been filled with mystery oil and turned over several times each year. Had it shipped from Illinois to Arizona through Haulbikes.

Over the last month
Replaced starter button
Replaced shifter spindle and shifter
Cleaned Gas Tank - In pretty decent shape, but there are a few problem spots. I could probably do this again.
Replaced fuel lines
Cleaned Carbs - One float was still a bit slow, was able to fix this on the bike
Fixed locked front brake caliper - disassembled, cleaned, some fine sanding to remove crystallization
Front Brake Fluid change
Oil change, Oil Filter, Air Filter
New Battery
New Tires and Tubes - Went with IRC GS11 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005UGETZQ/ref=cm_cr_ryp_prd_ttl_sol_5
Rob
1972 Honda CB750F