Author Topic: SOHC4 Relay Across America, Canada, and Beyond  (Read 52578 times)

Offline Jordan

• Hot Shot
  • What a Long strange trip it's been
Re: SOHC4 Relay Across America, Canada, and Beyond
« Reply #250 on: December 19, 2010, 06:06:54 am »
I am pretty sure there are a few members along the I15 corridor(runs North/South though) in Utah that have not chimed in yet, Zion national park, Bryce canyon etc. down south, up north, the Capitol building, Miller Motorsports park vintage gp (september?) Bonneville to the west, Antelope Island Buffalo roundup(october?) Park City Sundance Film Festival and Golden spike Railroad location to the north. Just to name a few. If this thing happens and the timing is right I may have my cb500 roadworthy, if not I would be willing to tag along in the north on my Beemer, the roadservice offer north of salt lake still stands. Jordan

Offline OldSchool_IsCool

• Really feeling like an
  • Old Timer
  • WARNING: Objects in mirror appear to be LOSING!
« Reply #251 on: December 19, 2010, 07:30:04 am »
There is this post from ProTeal55 (Halffast)
His site: http://www.halffastchicago.com/

I'll do what I can to help this out here in Chicago.
Tell me what you guys want/need and i will make it happen...

.: Scott :.

True, ProTeal55 did chime in.  Now to make it happen.  Sean and I can carry the football to Chicago from the north if that's the final decision.  The QC option has a nice nostalgic feature in that much of the run up north could be along the remains of Route 66. 

I'm convinced a Chicago visit is going to happen.  It's just a matter of adding it to the Illinois or the Wisconsin leg.
Can I have a motorcycle when I get old enough?
If you take care of it.
What do you have to do?
Lot’s of things. You’ve been watching me.
Will you show me all of them?
Sure.
Is it hard?
Not if you have the right attitudes. It’s having the right attitudes that’s hard.

Offline ZanVooden

• I don't need no stinkin' title
  • Hot Shot
  • This was suppose to be a quick one month job...
« Reply #252 on: December 19, 2010, 09:56:50 am »

True, ProTeal55 did chime in.  Now to make it happen.  Sean and I can carry the football to Chicago from the north if that's the final decision.  The QC option has a nice nostalgic feature in that much of the run up north could be along the remains of Route 66. 

I'm convinced a Chicago visit is going to happen.  It's just a matter of adding it to the Illinois or the Wisconsin leg.

I know there are a lot of members in Milwaukee as well, so my thought was to come down from the UP and hit milwaukee, and probably Chicago, then to Madison on the way to Minniapolis.

Offline Jerry Rxman Griffin aka MuthaF'er

• This MuthaF'er is getting to be a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #253 on: December 19, 2010, 10:38:34 am »
Maybe the St. Louis to Indy leg can leg can go north to Quad cities then Chitown then back down to Indy. We can't count out all the Chicago area riders. Maybe I could go St louis to Quad cities, or if no QC guys step up. on to chicago!

Don,

Fantastic idea bro!

PM sent ;)

Jerry
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Today's Lesson: One good turn deserves another.
« Reply #254 on: December 19, 2010, 10:59:36 am »
     Going by the map on page 5, if who ever comes out of Indy or there about (MCRider/IndyFour?) would swing down to Cincinnati, I could pick up the torch from there and head up to Columbus and get the capital shot, then go on to meet Tripps or KSmith0034

That line going through IN and OH can be adapted to whatever you guys decide on  ;D It's your area and your ride. ENJOY IT  ;)
     OK, I just heard back from MCRider, he said he may not be much of a participant for focusing on his project. I'm hoping whoever comes through Indiana to Ohio will meet with me near Cincinnati, so I can head east from there.
     Joerizzo0 mentioned Dreyer Honda, and I'm right down the road from Western Hills Honda. I think it'd be cool to have pics with these well known Honda shops along the way.
     Getting shots of the state capitals was also mentioned and I could head up to Columbus from here.
     So those that want to work on a route, PM me so we can get started.
Allen
Not that I don't want to be, but till my bike's finished I really don't have anything to ride. So first things first.
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

Offline OldSchool_IsCool

• Really feeling like an
  • Old Timer
  • WARNING: Objects in mirror appear to be LOSING!
« Reply #255 on: December 19, 2010, 11:49:51 am »

I know there are a lot of members in Milwaukee as well, so my thought was to come down from the UP and hit milwaukee, and probably Chicago, then to Madison on the way to Minniapolis.

We got two ideas going here to get Chicago in the loop (no pun intended  ;D ).  What say the route hits Chicago proper via St Louis and QC on it's way to Indy.  Then, take the Wisconsin leg all the way down to Milwaukee.  That way, the Chicago group can either jump in on the ride at home or, if timing works better, run up to Milwaukee and Madison on the flip flop?
Can I have a motorcycle when I get old enough?
If you take care of it.
What do you have to do?
Lot’s of things. You’ve been watching me.
Will you show me all of them?
Sure.
Is it hard?
Not if you have the right attitudes. It’s having the right attitudes that’s hard.

Offline Old Scrambler

• My CB750K3 has been in 39 States & 5 Provinces
  • Old Timer
« Reply #256 on: December 19, 2010, 01:27:57 pm »
I'm reading with interest for the upper mid-west because it would be neat to coordinate the trip or trips with a few special events.........Road racing at Road America in June, the Fuel Cafe show in Milwaukee in August, the Indy GP race and flat-track mile in late August............besides the appearance places in Michigan, Chicago and other locations.  Yes, the relay may pass through from Canada to the UP of Michican and on to Wisconsin and Minnesota as it returns from the New England states and the eastern Provinces.
Dennis in Wisconsin
'64 Triumph Cub & '74 Honda CB750 Bonneville Salt Flats AMA Record Holder (6)
CB750 Classic Bonneville Racer thread - http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,135473.0.html
'63 CL72 Project(s)
'66 CL77 Red
'67 Triumph T100C
'73 750K3 Owned since New
'77 750F2 Cafe Project
2020 ROYAL ENFIELD Himalayan

Offline Grnrngr

• Master
« Reply #257 on: December 19, 2010, 01:56:57 pm »
so...do we have a rough guess on when the SoCal to Reno run would be? do they still do Hot August Nights in Reno?  how about the ID-OR-WA run so we can try to "co-ordinate" with other events... like Vashon?  mid-late summer is also county/state fair season.....
'72 CB750-K2 "PopCycle"
'73 CB750-K2 "Barney"
'77 CB750A   
'83 Virago 500 (red)
'83 Virago 500 (black)

"and so on and so on and scoobydoobydooby..oooooooshasha"  Sly Stone

Offline Brown Bomber

• Don't mess with me cause I'm a SOHC/4
  • Expert
« Reply #258 on: December 19, 2010, 04:00:58 pm »
     Going by the map on page 5, if who ever comes out of Indy or there about (MCRider/IndyFour?) would swing down to Cincinnati, I could pick up the torch from there and head up to Columbus and get the capital shot, then go on to meet Tripps or KSmith0034

That line going through IN and OH can be adapted to whatever you guys decide on  ;D It's your area and your ride. ENJOY IT  ;)
     OK, I just heard back from MCRider, he said he may not be much of a participant for focusing on his project. I'm hoping whoever comes through Indiana to Ohio will meet with me near Cincinnati, so I can head east from there.
     Joerizzo0 mentioned Dreyer Honda, and I'm right down the road from Western Hills Honda. I think it'd be cool to have pics with these well known Honda shops along the way.
     Getting shots of the state capitals was also mentioned and I could head up to Columbus from here.
Allen
Not that I don't want to be, but till my bike's finished I really don't have anything to ride. So first things first.
Sorry Ron, I didn't mean for it to sound as though I was excluding you. Just trying to stir up a response from anyone along the way. I like to get things planned out well in advance, because plans are subject to change.

Allen
Keep the Shiny side up!

1987 ZG1000 "King Crimson"
1972 CB750K2 "Stout"
1976 CB500T "Witch's Promise"
1973 CL450K5 Cafe Project
I'd rather go homeless than chromeless

People get maddest when I've told the truth.

Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer.......
                                                                          Vito Corleone

Offline Tripps

• Perpetual Beginner
  • Hot Shot
  • 1978 CB750K
« Reply #259 on: December 19, 2010, 05:28:16 pm »
I could meet someone in Cincinatti, only a few hours from me. Not sure if I'd go the whole loop around NE, as I will probably hook back up in Ontario for the ride to Michigan, but we'll see, Hard to commit that far out without dates or knowing my work situation. I'm presently self employed (and slow, LOL) so I'm pretty flexible at the moment, but it's hard to predict what life will bring.
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge- Daniel J Boorstin

Offline Tripps

• Perpetual Beginner
  • Hot Shot
  • 1978 CB750K
« Reply #260 on: December 19, 2010, 05:41:43 pm »
But, but, but Susan Dey ( Partridge ) might be on the bus  :o :o
Yeah but this is the one that will be getting on the Bus

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

You might have to 'help' her onto the bus. She was born in '52. Let's be kind to elders, OK.  ;D

Well, I was born in 57, I'd do her in a heartbeat. :D
« Last Edit: December 19, 2010, 05:44:00 pm by Tripps »
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge- Daniel J Boorstin

Offline seanbarney41

• not really that much younger than an
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #261 on: December 19, 2010, 05:47:54 pm »
Yeah, I bet there are tons of folks that are reluctant to commit to this because the dates are still so vague.  I think we need to try and nail down a schedule and try real hard to stick to it.  I'm not trying to be a nag.  I realize folks are working on it and there is still plenty of time to nail things down.
If it works good, it looks good...

Offline ZanVooden

• I don't need no stinkin' title
  • Hot Shot
  • This was suppose to be a quick one month job...
« Reply #262 on: December 19, 2010, 06:28:45 pm »
So looking at my spreadsheet so far we have most areas covered. The following are the states were we haven't had  anyone volunteer for.

Mississippi, Utah, Kansas, Maryland, Delaware, New Brunswick Canada, North Dakota, Saskatchewan Canada, Wyoming, Alaska, and Hawaii.

Here is the GENERAL route Jerry as set up:

As Jerry has mentioned many times, the actual route are left up to you, the riders. Once we have people volunteering for all the states and provinces we can start filling the gaps within the states. 

In short we still need volunteers especially for the states listed above.

Offline IndyFour

• Hot Shot
« Reply #263 on: December 19, 2010, 06:29:04 pm »

Allen
Sorry Ron, I didn't mean for it to sound as though I was excluding you. Just trying to stir up a response from anyone along the way. I like to get things planned out well in advance, because plans are subject to change.

Allen

I think that Cincinnati (or towards Cincinnati) could be a logical ending point for a route through IN....seeing as most of the good riding is in the Southern half of Indiana anyway.  Of course, we'll need to know where the IL folks will be "knocking on our door" before we can figure out a route.

Ron is an excellent route planner (as evidenced by our fantastic ride through S. Indiana back in September!).  I nominate him to plan the IN route when the time comes to do so....but only if he wants to, of course.  ;)

@ Ron:  You can get that hot bike done by April can't you?  Time to pick up the pace!   ;D ;D
1974 CB550K
2000 VFR800FIY

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #264 on: December 19, 2010, 07:12:33 pm »
Yeah, I bet there are tons of folks that are reluctant to commit to this because the dates are still so vague.  I think we need to try and nail down a schedule and try real hard to stick to it.  I'm not trying to be a nag.  I realize folks are working on it and there is still plenty of time to nail things down.

HOW'S BIKE WEEK IN MARCH SOUND??  ;D  8)  :o

We gotta get started before we can finish  ;)

I fully understand the reluctance issue. And I fully understand that we gotta connect those dots starting with the SE Coastal Region followed by the South East Region then head into the South Western Region and the California Region. Now, I will say that we have to work between the riders and what they can do. It's NOT what we schedule or expect. I am working on Regions and Regional Coordinators and fully expect that everyone will see this moving to the topic listed under Owners Club Forums / World Tour REAL SOON. Check back tomorrow.  ;)

In the mean time -

RIDERS SIGN ON - IT'S ABOUT YOU AND SOHC4.com
[/glow]
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Today's Lesson: One good turn deserves another.
« Reply #265 on: December 19, 2010, 07:16:34 pm »

Allen

Allen
Not a problem, hope this comes together!  :)
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #266 on: December 19, 2010, 07:19:53 pm »
I definitely hope AND expect Ron to be providing his experience and expertise to this fine ride!

YOU BOYS WILL BE ABLE TO SAY, AS WELL AS I WILL, THAT THIS IS THE BIGGEST RIDE YOU HAVE EVER BEEN ON!!

Offline Damfino

• Sneaky, Evil, Magnificent Bastard of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Look at the grouse! NYUK,NYUK,NYUK!
« Reply #267 on: December 19, 2010, 07:34:23 pm »

I'll probably be in there somewhere with the Indiana guy's and maybe some parts of Illinois if they come across Route 40 into the Terre Haute area.  Of course, I'll be excited to be a part of this, but it's a way's off yet, and sometimes life happens. I will do everything in my power to make it happen.  ;)
Your Message Here!
You can still call me 'Schmitty'

1976 CB 750
2014 CB 1100DLX
2015 Harley Davidson Freewheeler

You know, a long time ago being crazy meant something. Nowadays everybody's crazy.
Charles Manson

You've got to watch your back in the SSDB, this is where the clever guys get bored with bike talk and make poo jokes.
I like my women a little big. Natural. Now, they shave this and wax that. It's not right. I love natural women. Big women. This trend in women has to go. Bulomia, anorexia. That's just wrong. You know what will cure that? My special sticky buns. One lick of my sticky buns and your appetite will come right back. ~ RIP Mr. Borgnine  01/24/1917 - 07/08/2012  :'(

Offline mrbreeze

• Not your average
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Shut up when you're talkin' to me!!
« Reply #268 on: December 19, 2010, 11:08:29 pm »
But, but, but Susan Dey ( Partridge ) might be on the bus  :o :o
Yeah but this is the one that will be getting on the Bus

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

You might have to 'help' her onto the bus. She was born in '52. Let's be kind to elders, OK.  ;D

Well, I was born in 57, I'd do her in a heartbeat. :D
4-4-57 Tripp...............ME TOO!!!!...ina heartbeat!!!!  :P :P :P
MEMBER # 257
Fool me once..shame on you. Fool me twice..I'm kickin' your a$$......

Offline mrbreeze

• Not your average
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Shut up when you're talkin' to me!!
« Reply #269 on: December 19, 2010, 11:26:57 pm »
Plenty of time for sure.......but it doesn't hurt one  bit to plan now,,alter those plans a time or 3 and finally commit to the "MASTER PLAN"...........thats the beauty of this whole thing so far.......Its a GREAT plan and we have all this time to fine tune it and make it real......THIS MOFO WILL ROCK!!!!!!................Diggin' the map so far too.....it will also be subject to change as we go along but hey......looks like a great first glance (hits all the states)...........Carry on with the suggestions 8) 8) 8)
MEMBER # 257
Fool me once..shame on you. Fool me twice..I'm kickin' your a$$......

Offline tweakin

• tear down
  • Master
« Reply #271 on: December 20, 2010, 05:57:50 am »
Count me in for the PNW, Northern Oregon to Vancouver BC.

;D

Offline Operator

• Someday I will live up to being a
  • Expert
« Reply #272 on: December 20, 2010, 06:38:24 am »
Jerry, This sounds like a great idea.

I know there are a few members floating around within a few hundred kilometres of me.

I will volunteer to handle the New Brunswick, Canada leg of the ride.

Operator/Jason
If ever there was a creator of bastard sons, it is the open road, for she has claimed so many young men yearning for freedom......

1973 CB750 K3
1976 CB400F (Cafe Project)
1979 Yamaha XS400 (Currently up for Sale)

Offline andy750

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #273 on: December 20, 2010, 08:12:44 am »
I can coordinate the New England states (MA, ME, NH, VT) and liase with Operator or/and Bwaller...best to time this for May-June-July etc....

Questions:
1. Ok so do we have a plan in place for getting this figurine/mascot?
2. Who is going to buy it?
3. Where is the ride going to start?
4. Daytona Beach? March?
5. Is it going to be a photo of figurine at famous state landmarks + bikes or what? Obviously we need photos ;)

Sorry if this has been discussed but havent read all 11 pages  8)..and since I am snowed in here in Scotland I now have some time on my hands...

cheers
Andy
Current bikes
1. CB750K4: Long distance bike, 17 countries and counting...2001 - Trans-USA-Mexico, 2003 - European Tour, 2004 - SOHC Easy Rider Trip , 2008 - Adirondack Tour 2-up , 2013 - Tail of the Dragon Tour , 2017: 836 kit install and bottom end rebuild. And rebirth: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,173213.msg2029836.html#msg2029836
2. CB750/810cc K2  - road racer with JMR worked head 71 hp
3. Yamaha Tenere T700 2022

Where did you go on your bike today? - http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=45183.2350

Offline Operator

• Someday I will live up to being a
  • Expert
« Reply #274 on: December 20, 2010, 09:26:18 am »
Maybe the "figurine" should be an original part from a K0. You know, something that was exclusive to the first production run of the 750's.

It would be kind of nostalgic to have a piece of what started this all take the trip.

My 2 cents
If ever there was a creator of bastard sons, it is the open road, for she has claimed so many young men yearning for freedom......

1973 CB750 K3
1976 CB400F (Cafe Project)
1979 Yamaha XS400 (Currently up for Sale)